• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google mobile search page

tjgriffin

Dec 11, 2011
I can't find anything about this issue. On Google's normal full search page, at the top of the search results there is a menu for Search Tools; date ranges & sorting. The mobile version has this too, but it's a wrench icon.

The problem is that in Firefox, Opera Mobile & Mini, the icon is not shown. Dolphin, Jetpack, Chrome, and the Android Browser does show the icon. Anyone know why that is?

At first I thought the mobile page just didn't have that feature and would switch to the full page when I wanted to narrow or sort the results. Of course, that's a pain. I'll probably switch to Jetpack, but I prefer Opera.

Thanks!

Update: I did a little playing around with my desktop Firefox. I got a user agent switcher add-on. It had an iPhone agent, and when I set it, the wrench icon was visible. I added an Android agent and set it, and the wrench icon was not visible. Strange.

Update 2: It's all in the user agent:
Opera Mobile and Firefox default to a pure and simple Android agent string. That fails.
Opera Mobile Beta allowed me to change the user agent to one that is a mix of Android, AppleWebKit and Mobile Safari. That works.
Jetpack and Chrome default to an Android/AppleWebKit/Mobile Safari user agent.

Oh, the irony!

So I have a workaround, but I still don't understand why.

Tah!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones