1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google monopoly/ calendar

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nancyh, Oct 19, 2016.

1. nancyh

nancyh Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2016
    Female
    I just got the Moto Z Force thru Verizon. I was forced to change phones because of the LG G4 update that messed me up.
    Although I have 2 Google email accounts, I didn't want my photos going thru that exclusively , so I had to download a different 'gallery' app. just to give me more control.
    Now I see that my 'calendar' is also thru Google..again. Am I going to have to download a 'calendar' app too, or is there a 'calendar' option on the Z Force that I'm not seeing?
    I had NO idea this phone was going to be so Google controlled, what a pain.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    That's the advantage of an open system like Android - you can install whichever calendar app and sync service that you like, such as Microsoft's Outlook app. Personally, I'm fine with Google sync services - they're the best in the business at it, IMHO.

3. legalkill

legalkill Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    There is the Google Calendar app. Moto used to be owned by google for a short time and the culture was to start relying mostly on official google apps from that ownership. I always found the opposite to be cumbersome. LG or Samsung specific apps that I did not want to use locked on my phone. I would have to hide the icons so I would not have 2 calendars to choose from.

That being said I did install the moto gallery from the G4 that was released, but I still use the photos app as well, playing to their strengths. I also have both cameras google and Moto. Moto left the messenger up to verizon which I use the google messenger instead. But as doogald said, this is the strength of android.

The real question is who would you rather have all your data, Apple, Google or Microsoft, cause if you use a smartphone you have to sell your soul to one of them.

4. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    Motorola is going more and more to as pure an Android experience, which is why less Moto and more Google.

Motorola Moto Z

The Motorola Moto Z launched in 2016 and in the US, was exclusive to Verizon as the "Moto Z Droid Edition." The phone was the first of its kind to feature "Moto Mods," accessories that attached to the back of the phone to expand functionality. The phone was joined by the more rugged Moto Z Force and mid-ranged Moto Z Play.