1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Google Mov Block sent MSG to Google

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by b4ufsh, May 23, 2011.

1. b4ufsh

b4ufsh Newbie
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Bucks County
    I read today that your Google movies rentals is going to be limited to none rooted android phones. Is this true? I am really lost on why you would even consider blocking it. I am a new user to android phones. I recently purchased a HTC Thunderbolt. I, personally, don

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Phones do not come rooted stock. If you root then google can not protect the movie if you download it. They can put it in a r-- portion of your phone memory but you could use root explorer and mount the directory as rw- and you could steal the content. Google has to protect the content owners to offer the service.

3. The_Superhoo

The_Superhoo Android Enthusiast

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Falls Church, VA
    Uhhhh You know this site isn't run by Google or any Android producers right?

4. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    100% agree with the op. You should ban any products that you consider wronged you. But don't focus on google or android for this one, you need to talk to the movie companies. They are the one that enforces the rules on to google.

If you google is to offer you a movie rental, they have to bend to the will of the movie companies. The movie companies have set this rule, if google wants to offer you any movies at all, they have to obey this rule.

So please do ban movie companies. But understand that if google does not do this, you will not get movie rentals at all.

5. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    OFL
    In avoidance of all doubt, the non-root decision was politics to lure the studios into getting over their Android paranoia. Once the studios get in the water and actually want to make some money, they'll have to open up to root users.

With the recent market.android.com redesign calling attention to certain unpleasant facts that exist in the community, Google is now utterly embarrassed that the second most selling app on Android Market requires root access.

They know that people who root couldn't care less about corporate Hollywood. This is just something they need to do to give the impression of caring about studio concerns so that the studios can shake loose and learn how to make money again. It isn't going to be shiny, silver, or blu.

6. JEcht

JEcht Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Could this be the first steps in catching people who roots phones? You know how carriers and certain manufacturers dont like rooting.

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Google has no problem with rooters, carriers and OMEs do. Google has looked at the rooting community for updates to the OS in the past and likely will again. Carriers do not like rooting as it can allow you to circumvent measures they had put in place to prevent you from breaking your contract as well as steal services they charge for i.e. tethering. OEMs do not like rooters because by flashing roms you are changing the experience they have developed. You may also flash a rom that is unstable and can cause quality issues. Google could care less what you choose to do with the phone, if you want to use their movie rental service you will have an unrooted phone, if you don't feel free to root if you want to.