• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Music - DownloadManager$ ???

GhostRed

Jun 9, 2011
Does anyone know why the Music app (the default Google music app) has two internet-related services that constantly open themselves?

I know one is called DownloadManager$ which uses the Music "headphones" icon, and the other I can't remember the name of but it uses the normal system green icon, like Market, etc.

What I don't understand is why an app that doesn't need access to the internet for any reason is constantly, ON IT'S OWN, WITHOUT ME RUNNING MUSIC opening the DownloadManager service.

I bet I terminate this service 10 times a day, and half the time it opens itself.

I'm rooted, so I'm wondering if there's an easy way of disabling this service while still using the Music app.

Does anyone know why the Music app (the default Google music app) has two internet-related services that constantly open themselves?

I know one is called DownloadManager$ which uses the Music "headphones" icon, and the other I can't remember the name of but it uses the normal system green icon, like Market, etc.

What I don't understand is why an app that doesn't need access to the internet for any reason is constantly, ON IT'S OWN, WITHOUT ME RUNNING MUSIC opening the DownloadManager service.

I bet I terminate this service 10 times a day, and half the time it opens itself.

I'm rooted, so I'm wondering if there's an easy way of disabling this service while still using the Music app.

Seriously? No one knows anything about this? I'm about to simply uninstall Music altogether.

Upvote 0
I've noticed it's very agressive in managing music. It also locks down music so only GoogleMusic can use it :(

That said, having a Service running isn't usually a call for alarm, but you might want to check if it has been using the battery.

To check how much an app is using the battery:

(from your phone's home screen) Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery use

Usually the apps at the top should be something like:

- Display/Screen
- Cell Standby
- WiFi
- Phone idle

*almost* all apps should use less than those unless you are using them heavily. Keyword there is almost.

hth

Edit: also I moved the thread to Android Media :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones