1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Music player has long gaps between songs

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mscheaf, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I just got done reading an article about how they added gapless playback to the Google music player in 4.1 I laughed. This player on my 4.1 phone has the worst gaps of any music player I have ever used. Sometimes up to 45 seconds. What's weird is I can't really tell what's going on because as soon as I unlock the screen it switches songs. Every time. Like it was asleep and I woke it. Samsung Galaxy Victory from Virgin Mobile.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Sounds to me like the CPU slows down too much when the screens off.

If that's the case, its not play music's fault, try bumping up your min CPU speed to see of it fixes it

3. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I have no idea how to bump up my CPU speed. Is that even possible when unrooted?

4. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

I would also point out that this only happens with the google music player. The built in samsung music player and any others I try don't do this. Of course those other music players are also awful and I don't want to use them.

5. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

It happens to me once in a while too. I noticed yesterday because I walked 7 miles and it happened 8 or 9 times.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Are you playing music locally or streaming it from Google's cloud?

7. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I don't stream unless I am on wifi, so from my device

8. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I got nothing then :(

Play Music plays gapless for me just fine.

9. mscheaf

mscheaf Member

Yes I am playing music locally off sd card. And again it's real weird. The gap can be 3 seconds or 5 minutes, it just depends on when i get sick of waiting and reach into my pocket, pull the phone out and unlock the screen then the next song starts immediately. Every time. This player also likes to keep playing music over the speaker after I pull out the headphones, where every single other media player in the history of the world has at least paused when you do this.

Is there a way I can just get the music player back that used to be on 2.3.4? That music player was perfect. But you know how companies like to fix what isn't actually broken to justify their existence...