• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Music won't let me upload...

MRW1215

Mar 18, 2011
I use iTunes to manage all my music, and for my phone, I use Google Music. I uploaded about 700 songs to begin with, and when I would get new songs that I wanted to upload, I'd simply make a "New Music" playlist in iTunes, and have the Music Manager upload that playlist to Google Music.

Now, though, I can't seem to get the Music Manager to recognize new songs in the iTunes playlist... I've added about 13 songs to the playlist over the last two weeks, and every time I've tried to upload them, the Music Manager shows the playlist as having 0 new songs...

Just for clarification, I'm nowhere near the 20000 song limit (not even to 800 yet, honestly...), so that's not the issue.

Anyone else have this problem, and know how to correct it? Kinda sucks not being able to upload new music...

I have had this problem also. I uploaded over 2,000 songs though, doing also going from iTunes to Google Music.
It looks like all of my songs transferred over. If I'm using my desktop computer to check the website music.google.com for my library and playlists, it's all there. When I go to use the app on my phone, the music is all there, but the playlists show up as empty, or have only a small number of the songs it's supposed to have. Frustrating, because most of the time I want to pick a playlist to listen to.

Upvote 0
So, I uninstalled the Music Manager software, and reinstalled it, and it finally uploaded the new music from the iTunes playlist I added it to. Unfortunately, though, it's now immediately reverting back to having the same issue -- it doesn't "see" new tracks added to the playlist. Which means, every time I want to upload new music, I'm going to have to completely uninstall and reinstall the Music Manager... What a pain...

I don't understand why this issue started occurring in the first place. It's been working fine, catching my new music to upload, for a while now, but all of a sudden, in the last few weeks, it's just not working... :/

Upvote 0
I am also having this problem. So if anyone has a solution, please let me know.

One thing to add though, you dont have to uninstall the app, you just change the "Location of my music collection" under the advanced tab and then go through the wizard and it will upload all the new songs. Basically the same as uninstalling but will save a little time.

Upvote 0
Any solutions? I uploaded my songs from iTunes to Google Play. On my desktop, I see all my music that uploaded, in the library and all of my playlists have the correct music in them.

However, from my phone, I can see my music in Google Play Music, but all my Playlists there are empty. How do I get my Playlists populated?

Upvote 0
I downloaded 6000+ songs from Media Player and I had the same problem as well. All the songs seemed to be in the cloud but the playlists were either empty or only had a few of the songs. I went into the Google Music Player app and hit the clear data button. The next time I started the app it found all the music and populated the play lists. Hope that helps. I'm on an Evo 4G LTE

Upvote 0
i wouldn't say it's fixed. I have one computer running windows media player. the first time I uploaded all the music from media player, everything was ok, sort of. then randomly songs would disappear from playlists. I'd add them back, and then a couple days later there would be duplicates.

soon after, all my playlists on google play started randomly deteriorating down to nothing. I also had a bunch of stuff on google play with incorrect album info that had been corrected in windows media player (but the changes were not uploaded to google play) so I decided to wipe my play library clean, and reset the music manager on my desktop to upload everything like new.

I've done this three times in the past week, twice uploading music from media player, and once uploading music from "my music folder," with the same result each time: all 4,000+ songs in are uploaded, all 26 playlists are uploaded, all 26 playlists contain zero songs when they get to google play. (none of them contain zero songs in windows media player.)

if I add a new playlist to media player, it also gets uploaded to play and contains zero songs when it gets there.

these playlists are empty whether I access google play music via my desktop internet explorer, or by the mobile app.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. It's extremely frustrating having all your music but a bunch of empty playlists. Have you been able to find a fix yet?

i wouldn't say it's fixed. I have one computer running windows media player. the first time I uploaded all the music from media player, everything was ok, sort of. then randomly songs would disappear from playlists. I'd add them back, and then a couple days later there would be duplicates.

soon after, all my playlists on google play started randomly deteriorating down to nothing. I also had a bunch of stuff on google play with incorrect album info that had been corrected in windows media player (but the changes were not uploaded to google play) so I decided to wipe my play library clean, and reset the music manager on my desktop to upload everything like new.

I've done this three times in the past week, twice uploading music from media player, and once uploading music from "my music folder," with the same result each time: all 4,000+ songs in are uploaded, all 26 playlists are uploaded, all 26 playlists contain zero songs when they get to google play. (none of them contain zero songs in windows media player.)

if I add a new playlist to media player, it also gets uploaded to play and contains zero songs when it gets there.

these playlists are empty whether I access google play music via my desktop internet explorer, or by the mobile app.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. It's extremely frustrating having all your music but a bunch of empty playlists. Have you been able to find a fix yet?

Add one more "victim" to the list! I've been searching for help on this for 2 weeks, as well as trying numerous fixes on my own... with no luck or progress.

I've tried linking and uploading my library via both iTunes and/or Windows Media Player. All 14,000+ songs are successfully uploaded, but all my extensive playlists are uploaded in name only... with the list themselves coming up empty (via PC browser and/or Android Phone App).

Up until about a month ago, I had been successfully uploading and syncing my playlists, but would occasionally have doubles of songs show up or a slight mis-ordering of tracks when the playlists reached the cloud. While that was annoying, I'd kill to have that back, as now I have a bunch of empty playlists in the cloud. Number of songs in these list range from as few as 50 to as many as 500+, so it size of list should not be a factor. Additionally, it appears this issue exists when trying to sync via either iTunes or WMP.

I've also tried logging in and out of Music Manager... uninstalling/reinstalling Music Manager, changing the location of my Music Collection... NONE of which works.

I hope we can work together here to find a solution. I love the Google Play Music options and capabilities, but not having access and use of my well-cultivated Playlists will eventually be a deal-breaker for me.

Looking forward to comment and recommendations... as well as willing to test out any new ideas to assist us all in finding a solution!

Upvote 0
Add one more "victim" to the list! I've been searching for help on this for 2 weeks, as well as trying numerous fixes on my own... with no luck or progress.

I've tried linking and uploading my library via both iTunes and/or Windows Media Player. All 14,000+ songs are successfully uploaded, but all my extensive playlists are uploaded in name only... with the list themselves coming up empty (via PC browser and/or Android Phone App).

Up until about a month ago, I had been successfully uploading and syncing my playlists, but would occasionally have doubles of songs show up or a slight mis-ordering of tracks when the playlists reached the cloud. While that was annoying, I'd kill to have that back, as now I have a bunch of empty playlists in the cloud. Number of songs in these list range from as few as 50 to as many as 500+, so it size of list should not be a factor. Additionally, it appears this issue exists when trying to sync via either iTunes or WMP.

I've also tried logging in and out of Music Manager... uninstalling/reinstalling Music Manager, changing the location of my Music Collection... NONE of which works.

I hope we can work together here to find a solution. I love the Google Play Music options and capabilities, but not having access and use of my well-cultivated Playlists will eventually be a deal-breaker for me.

Looking forward to comment and recommendations... as well as willing to test out any new ideas to assist us all in finding a solution!

Probably not going to help you, but I can't really get my head around the idea of uploading 14,000 songs to the internet. I have around 10,000 songs in my library, most of which were downloaded from the internet in the first place, so the idea of uploading them all again is not really that appealling. Especially if the playlists are getting screwed up, also there's the fact they might not be available, because of no internet or whatever. Also how long would it take to upload 50GB of MP3s and FLACs, given my typical upload speed of 200kbps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones