• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Google Nav and Bluetooth

mihalich

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2009
South Orange County, CA
Anyone else notice yet in their bluetooth car stereo that, when you're running the navigation in google maps, the audio from the nav gets streamed over bluetooth and comes out your car speakers?

I just figured that out today. I accidentally had the bluetooth input on the car stereo on, and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why there was no audio from the nav coming out of the phone. I kind of heard it but it was really low.

Then I realized the sound was low coming from the car speakers. So I turned the volume up on the car speakers and realized the nav was streaming the audio over bluetooth.

Very cool!

Joe

your car must be adpw2 equiped which means you can probably play pandora music and or your music files directly over your stereo from your phone

if you do use your phone to stream pandora or something similar to you car stereo, you will soon find that you want to mute/silence all notifications... they get quite annoying if you listen to a lot of music from your phone.

Upvote 0
I use A Online Radio for streaming music in the car. Haven't used Pandora much.

And yes, the notifications are very annoying when doing this, and need to be silenced. It is interesting though that the notifications aren't sent over bluetooth. On mine when I'm streaming a-online, and a notification sound occurs, the music briefly stops, and the notification sound plays on the phone.

I wonder what the difference is...maybe there are different api's for playing audio/video..some of them route through bluetooth if its connected, maybe others don't.

Joe

Upvote 0
Here's another beautiful thing that android can do because it can run multiple apps at a time.

I usually use 2 apps in the car...AOR, and Nav. We know that both of them feed audio over bluetooth through my stereo.

I realized today on the way home that they both stream at the same time, correctly. So, I was listening to AOR, while I had the navigation going. When the nav spoke a direction, AOR paused briefly, the nav audio came out my speakers, then the audio from the AOR station resumed.

Perfect...exactly the way you'd want it to act.

so cool!

Joe

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones