• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Nav - Where is "speak destination"?

I've searched these forums, reviews and google, and nobody seems to have asked the question anywhere.
Eeerywhere I look tells me there should be an option called "Speak Destination" alongside "Type Destination" (I see only Type, not Speak).
Am I missing something? Maybe something from the market I need?

It all seems to work perfectly other than that..

I should add I'm using a G2 Touch (Hero) updated to 2.1

Hm I'm definitely on 4.4, it says so when I go to the google maps app in the marketplace.
It says it's up to date..
I also tried holding the search button on screen when navigating, but holding it does nothing. It just comes up a text box when I release it, I read that's also suppose to launch the speak destination dialog.
It's like it's not installed the speak part..

I load up navigation from my navigation icon and all I see is:
Type Destination
Contacts
Starred Items
-------------------
Recent Destinations

AAHH!
I just found Google Search by Voice in the marketplace!
Grr it never said anywhere that it was an addon.
Happiness!

Upvote 0
Hm I'm definitely on 4.4, it says so when I go to the google maps app in the marketplace.
It says it's up to date..
I also tried holding the search button on screen when navigating, but holding it does nothing. It just comes up a text box when I release it, I read that's also suppose to launch the speak destination dialog.
It's like it's not installed the speak part..

I load up navigation from my navigation icon and all I see is:
Type Destination
Contacts
Starred Items
-------------------
Recent Destinations

AAHH!
I just found Google Search by Voice in the marketplace!
Grr it never said anywhere that it was an addon.
Happiness!

Interesting. I don't remember it being an add on for me. For me it's always been there.

Upvote 0
I've searched these forums, reviews and google, and nobody seems to have asked the question anywhere.
Eeerywhere I look tells me there should be an option called "Speak Destination" alongside "Type Destination" (I see only Type, not Speak).
Am I missing something? Maybe something from the market I need?

It all seems to work perfectly other than that..

I should add I'm using a G2 Touch (Hero) updated to 2.1
all u have to do is to install voice search by google

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones