1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support google navigation help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmckiernan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jmckiernan

jmckiernan Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2014
    I'm having a problem with the GPS keeping up with me. Every time I exit a freeway or change roads the GPS continues to think I'm on the freeway for a few seconds and reroutes me and then has to reroute me a second time once it catches up and realizes where I actually am. Also sometimes the arrow is pointing in a weird direction as if I'm going down the road sideways. I have the latest version of Android and my GS5 is up to date. I already called T Mobile about the issue and did some basic troubleshooting and nothing has seemed to help so far any ideas would be appreciated thanks. I really need my GPS to work well.. I use it for a living because I'm a driver

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Hey, my relatively expensive Garmin GPS does the same thing.

it is a problem with the inherrent inaccuracies of the GPS calculations and is not really a fault of the S5's GPS, nor the app you are using.

Take a look at this app, GPS STATUS. * GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play
    This is my "Go To App" for GPS issues, it puts it all in one place for you.

Today, it is common for us to get location fix accurate down to around 11 meters, or 33 feet.

10 years ago, when we only had 5 satellites up there, location fixes that were within a half mile were considered pretty good.

GPS Status has at times, shown me with a fix down to 9 meters.

It depends on How many SATs are in view at the time of the fix. At times, I can get 11 satellites which gives me altitude accurate to with a few feet and even shows me setting at my office desk when I am home.

Now, as for the lag when you exit the freeway? That 33 foot location fix is the problem. Once you deviate about 100 feet off the route, the GPS program will realize that you are no longer "up there" on the freeway.

We have a couple of exit ramps here where the off ramp runs down underneath the highway.... now that really gives a GPS program a fit..... I'm still within about 50 feet of where I was and then I go under the highway to exit at 90 degrees left eventually....

I don't think you are going to get a real fix on that situation... unless you opt to purchase a Military Grade GPS device.... that will get you down to about 5 CM of accuracy.

That's 5 centi-meters. Remember the bombs being dropped into Chimneys?

3. jmckiernan

jmckiernan Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks for the help and suggestions. .the thing is I think it should be fixable because it never happened before. It started about 3 or so months ago and has done it ever since. Before that the gps was dead on and never did this...so it makes me think it was some sort of an update to either Google Maps or Android or some sort of change with my service provider

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I hope you aren't using the Verizon Wireless navigation app, they charge you for that thing.....

I have never been satisfied with the way the Android navigation apps work.... you loose the 4g signal and they are useless.... and where I live and work, 4g is a sometimes thing, 1x is all the time, 3g most of the time, but 3g will not give you data fast enough for Google maps to work if you are moving.

They keep wanting to download the next mile of the map as you go....
    unless a navigation app has the complete area map in memory, it is useless, period.

that is why I always use my Garmin. The maps are already loaded in the unit.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.