1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Navigation -Map cache question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AdamsHouseCat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. AdamsHouseCat

AdamsHouseCat Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    I am brand new to Android - just purchased a Motorolla Atrix - and have a very small data plan with AT&T.

If I plan a trip from my home (using my wi-fi connection), are the needed maps cached to my phone at that time? (how about short trip versus a lenghty trip?)

Is there a way for me to tell during use if the application is "pinging" my data plan?

I want to use this functionality, but am concerned I may find it expensive to actually use.

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    You'd need a data usage monitoring app. It's probably easier just to stick your device in airplane mode.

If you really want to avoid data usage then you should look into a nav app that has locally stored maps. The cache in Google Maps Nav is really only intended to deal with short term lack of data connectivity. If you're going to use it as you intend in your post then you'll need to do quite a bit of testing to ensure that it does what you need.

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Not with Google Maps. And even if it would, it wouldnt be a good idea, as if you were to get lost or have to take a detour, you would be screwed.

4. regression

regression Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    Google Navigation will cache your route. I have tested by calculating the route at home then turning airplane mode on. As I drove, the maps would update and Navigation would tell me where to turn.

As far as if the route is long vs short, I don't know, but I would suspect it would cache the entire route.

In order to tell if data is being used, aside from turning airplane mode on, you could install a data usage app like a post mentioned or watch your data icon in the notification bar (admittedly not a very ideal solution).