• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigation not using GPS - Nexus S

RichStant

Lurker
May 23, 2010
I've just got my Nexus S, and I'm having some minor grief with google navigation. If I go to navigation and select a destination, it tells me GPS is off & offers to take me to the settings to turn it on. I select to turn it on, and go back to navigation, which now shows 'searching for GPS'. However the GPS icon does not appear in the notification area, and navigation never gets a GPS lock.

If I turn on GPS with the power widget, then do google navigation then most of the time it seems to work, the GPS icon comes on & I get an almost immediate GPS lock when I go into navigation. Anyone else seeing this?

Sounds like the Power widget overrides or ignores your manual GPS settings.

So just use the Power widget to turn on GPS when you need it OR do as I do and just keep it checked. You don't drain battery by keeping the GPS radio checked. You only drain battery when the GPS icon shows in the status bar, which means an app is using the GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones