• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigation now works in UK (Official)

One silly thought about navigation...

The AMOLED screen on the Desire is not like LCD displays. The AMOLED display uses considerably less power where pixels are dark than where they are bright.

So... has anyone tried using Night Mode when navigating? Can the mobile charger provide enough juice when the display is dark rather than bright?

regards,
/alan

I used mine in night mode last night with no problem.

I got a microusb -> cigarette lighter for

Upvote 0
Day two of HTC Desire ownership... gave the navigation a whirl on my way home from work today... fantastic!! Except my route home takes me through signal black-holes and results in a lack of direction. But hey, it does the job and still tracks you down the route.

Google Nav caches the route when you first give it directions - if you stray from the route and are in a signal blackpot you will need signal for it re-route'

worth noting that if you are on the phone at the time it needs to re-route it wont work because it can only do voice or data over the mobile connection

Upvote 0
I seem to be having a problem with navigation. I access it using the 'Navigation App' the one with the blue arrow, now here's the thing, it connects to gps as I can see the antenna flash and go to solid but it always stays stuck on 'getting driving directions' I dont know if I input the location wrong, it doesnt say anything about using post code, road or city? Help us out please!

Upvote 0
Err...how do get Night Mode?

It should automatically change the colour scheme when its dark outside, I think it uses the proximity sensor in the same way that the menu/home/back buttons do as they dont light up in daylight.

I just got in my car last night, stuck it in its holder and fired up navigation and it was in night mode...

Reactions: simon1
Upvote 0
I seem to be having a problem with navigation. I access it using the 'Navigation App' the one with the blue arrow, now here's the thing, it connects to gps as I can see the antenna flash and go to solid but it always stays stuck on 'getting driving directions' I dont know if I input the location wrong, it doesnt say anything about using post code, road or city? Help us out please!

You need to have mobile data/wi-fi enabled to recieve driving directions, the GPS only works out where you are, not how to get to where you are going.

Make sure mobile internet/wi-fi is switched on then it will download the driving directions and away you go :)

Reactions: Chan_B
Upvote 0
You need to have mobile data/wi-fi enabled to recieve driving directions, the GPS only works out where you are, not how to get to where you are going.

Make sure mobile internet/wi-fi is switched on then it will download the driving directions and away you go :)

Ah, I see. I need to change my bolt ons to get the free internet. On my old windows ipaq gps was just a matter of connecting to the satellite, no wi-fi no mobile internet. I shall test this after I get back from holiday. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones