• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigator battery usage tip

Personally I like the vertical view better because you can see further down the road.
Yeah, someone else mentioned using it in portrait mode vs landscape since they want to see where they're going vs what's to the side of them.
EDIT: Actually, now that I read your post again... do you mean the page where you select what option to use? Navigation, Footprints, Search, etc...? If so, then no I don't think so. But for the map screen, yes.
I think that screen is fluff... I never use it anymore.

Upvote 0
Personally I like the vertical view better because you can see further down the road.
Yeah, someone else mentioned using it in portrait mode vs landscape since they want to see where they're going vs what's to the side of them.
EDIT: Actually, now that I read your post again... do you mean the page where you select what option to use? Navigation, Footprints, Search, etc...? If so, then no I don't think so. But for the map screen, yes.
I think that screen is fluff... I never use it anymore.

Upvote 0
Not a battery tip ... but another Navigation tip. If you have addresses you want to save, but dont want them to clutter up your people app. Create the contact in gmail with the address, but do not put it in you "My Contacts" group. On the Eris under "People" Menu>View> Uncheck "Show auto Gmail contacts". The contact will not show up in your people app ... when you want directions to it from Navigation click the button to the right of "End Point", then "Contacts", and the contact with that address will show up.

Hope that rambling makes since.

Upvote 0
Another non battery navigation non battery tip. Instead of typing directions, justgo to ANY voice search app or widget (for google searches) and speak "NAVIGATE TO...(followed by an address)" or even speak something like "Navigate to Soldier Field Chicago" and the Navigator app launches automatically with the directions. Really cool.

Upvote 0
Does it happen when you use map or the navigation. And if it is in navigation, does it happen only when you exit by not completing your destination or not using the menu to exit. I have found that using navigation definately keeps the phone in awake mode after trying to put it to sleep, but have narrowed it down to to either not using the exit menu or not completing the route. I have not experienced the problem by just usinig the map application.

Upvote 0
If you go into Navigation, you need to press Menu/Exit Navigation to leave the app or it will keep running.

Another way to save addresses without adding to your contacts, is to add them to your Starred Items. You can do this by long pressing on a spot on the map and clicking the little address box that pops up, or by searching for an address and clicking on the little box. After clicking on the little box you'll go to a black screen with info/links for the thing you clicked on. In the upper right corner there's a very dim, greyed-out star. Click on this to make it a "starred" location. You can also do this on google maps on a PC after searching for an address.

To get a list of the starred locations you've saved, in maps select menu/more/starred items. Select the item you want - you'll get the black screen with info - you can press the 1st icon (magnifying glass?) to display it on the map, or the 2nd icon (right turn sign) to navigate to it.

If you use the new Navigation app (blue arrow thingy) to start nav instead of the car dock app or doing it from maps, it has an option to nav from starred items right there.

Upvote 0
Could the blinking orange and green light mean that the battery is draining faster than it is charging?

i am pretty sure it was an indicator of an overheating battery. i had the phone on the charger, but then it actually stopped charging, while connected. even after i turned off navigator, it would not charge for almost ten minutes ( i assume that was how long it took the phone to cool down to whatever safe level it needed to be at.)

Upvote 0
Does it happen when you use map or the navigation. And if it is in navigation, does it happen only when you exit by not completing your destination or not using the menu to exit. I have found that using navigation definately keeps the phone in awake mode after trying to put it to sleep, but have narrowed it down to to either not using the exit menu or not completing the route. I have not experienced the problem by just usinig the map application.

It happens on both maps and nav and i do exit nav but it keeps the phone awake i have to turn the phone off and then back on then its fine after that.

Upvote 0
Well, I just now had that prob after using the navigation, I exited through menu and the phone stayed awake when I put it to sleep. So this time I went back into Maps and pulled up a random route in memory and launched the navigation again up to the start of the route, I then exited it immediately through the menu and that seemed to have worked. The phone started to go to sleep properly since then, so it seems like something just gets stuck.

It may be worth a try to see if this helps as a kind of fix to prevent having to do a reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones