1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Now and battery life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aurora40, Aug 16, 2012.

1. aurora40

aurora40 Android Enthusiast

Just wanted to share in case anyone else noticed similar behavior:

Prior to the JB update, I generally got 1-1.5 days out of my GSM GNex before I felt like it needed to be charged (35% or less). This is with pretty mild use, I rarely make calls, mostly it is reading some emails or looking up a web page. Obviously with real screen use (video, gaming, etc) it doesn't get anywhere near that.

After the JB update, similar use patterns would result in a max of 24 hours before I needed to recharge it. If I used it more, it would barely make it through the day.

I noticed that pattern for a couple weeks, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just some bad signal day or something. The battery stats also were different, with the phone being "awake" more regularly when I wasn't using it (screen was off).

So, I disabled Google Now, thinking that it was the most likely suspect. It has been a few weeks now, and the phone has been back to its old self, easily going 36+ hours with light use.

Voice search still works fine, and still presents "cards". You just won't have cards waiting for you with like estimated traffic times, weather, etc.

So if you have noticed a battery hit since JB, and don't care about Google Now, you might consider turning it off.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

That doesn't surprise me.... with what Google now is supposed to be trying to accomplish.... learning about you, where you are, what you do, what you want to know and trying to have all that info ready for you. Seems like that would require the phone to be doing a lot of background work thus using battery.

I guess that with everything there are tradeoffs. If you like what Google Now does it sounds like you may have to sacrifice battery life. Of course, as a Galaxy Nexus user on Verizon, I don't have JB with Google Now yet. So I know all about sacrifices!

3. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert

IMO, for what I get from Google Now, battery life loss is worth it.

4. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert

Google Now is tied to "Location Reporting" too. be sure to turn it off in Latitude settings to save battery.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews