1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Now "Improve My Location" notice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phil75231, Dec 19, 2012.

1. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

Occasionally when looking at Google Now, a card pops informing me that I can Improve My Location and saying that "For more accurate location, turn Wi_Fi on. This works even when not connected to a network". The last sentence is what I'm not understanding. How does having Wi-Fi "improve my location" with Google Now if it's not connected to a network? Is this a stupid question?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. aldo82

aldo82 Well-Known Member

this is wifi positioning and its actually quite clever. Take a look at your position in google maps when you have wifi and gps off, then switch wifi on and even if it doesn't connect to a newtwork, provided it can see some networks then your position will improve significantly. It almost puts me sitting at my desk at work (I do not connect to a wifi network, just have wifi switched on) but when just using cell towers it thinks I'm 300 metres away. I've found google now is only really useful if I leave wifi on because it knows where I am so the journey times it recommends (I use public transport) are actually sensible. on cell tower positioning only it tells me to walk to the wrong train station! I don't think google now uses gps to save power so wifi is the best bet for accuracy.

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think all wifi acess points broadcast their location or allow a means to get it without needing to klnow the security. I believe there is a way you can stop a wifi point being used in this way by putting something in the SSID if someone objected to it. It does show that wifi when on and not connected is always searching for signals so I guess leave it off if you don't need it to save power but personally I prefer the improved location I get for google now

djw76 and phil75231 like this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews