• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Now is no longer speaking to me on Nexus 7. Why?

malix

Lurker
May 17, 2011
When I first got the tablet it worked just fine, and I had great fun asking it random questions like "What is the tallest mountain in north america?" or "what is the atomic mass of barium?"

But now if I ask those same questions it just google searches the phrase I asked instead of speaking the answer to me like it used to. It appears as though the browser (Chrome) is briefly directed to an URL that signs me out of my google account before proceeding to search for the answer and I have no idea why.

Everything appears to be ok in my Google Now settings. It is set to always speak the output. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Did you change the voice from english US to something else like english uk or another language? I notice that when you do that, its no longer as responsive.

I tried switching to english uk and when I'm on the google now screen it no longer recognized me saying "Google" and searching is far worse. My bad british accent didn't help. I also tried french and it didn't understand a single thing I said even though I thought I was speaking french pretty well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones