• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google now offering a AT&T 3G compatible Nexus One!

screen cracking issues? Do you believe everything you read?
When it's true, yes I do believe what I read. Haha... No seriously, are they replacing those delicate screens with something a little sturdier? And are they planning to fix the issue with the dust getting under the screen or is that some sort of conspiracy as well?

Upvote 0
I wonder if att will require these new n1 users to have data plan. One of the reasons why I bought this phone was because I wanted a phone that could use wifi, was unlocked, and didn't force me to pay for a data plan.
I'm fairly sure you have to considering that's where all the carrier's have been heading toward.

Upvote 0
I'm really excited about this. I'm locked to At&t since my father and brother have iphones, and have been waiting for an android phone for forever. But I have a few questions.

1. Can I get this phone and then use it with the unlimited data plan meant for non-smart phones. Also, if I can but At&t eventually finds out, do they fine me ridiculously, or just for what I should have paid originally.

2. As multitouch is rather important to me. If for some awful reason Google remote nerfs the phones for some legal reason, I assume rooted I can get all the functionality that they have now?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
But I have a few questions.

1. Can I get this phone and then use it with the unlimited data plan meant for non-smart phones. Also, if I can but At&t eventually finds out, do they fine me ridiculously, or just for what I should have paid originally.
at&t will do you a small favor and change you to the smartphone data plan and you'll be notified via text message. its triggered by an imei change on your account.
2. As multitouch is rather important to me. If for some awful reason Google remote nerfs the phones for some legal reason, I assume rooted I can get all the functionality that they have now?

Thanks!
yeah, i'd like to see Google do something like that, lol. ok, seriously, once it's in your control, you control it. root it and you decide to accept/reject updates. be sure you understand what you're giving up by unlocking/rooting.

Upvote 0
thats the only thing that was keeping me from it. now time to read up on sense UI

I'm curious to see if they also locked up the hole to gain root access, and if the different 3G frequencies will make it incompatible with the ROMs available at the moment.

Still, even if there were differences, it wouldn't be too long before the existing ROMs were adapted to work on the AT&T version.

Upvote 0
I don't believe att will lock up anything. I think the main reason for this version is canada. It just so happens (bonus) that that makes it att compatible. It will be the same exact phone.
The reason I think this is that it's just like buying any other sim unlocked phone that was compatible with canada. I believe at some point att will revolt and go after this small loophole that's been going on for a while. (media net) And fine or retroactively bill you, us.

Upvote 0
I'm curious to see if they also locked up the hole to gain root access, and if the different 3G frequencies will make it incompatible with the ROMs available at the moment.

Still, even if there were differences, it wouldn't be too long before the existing ROMs were adapted to work on the AT&T version.
i am so happy this is a Google phone and, hopefully at&t didn't indirectly, subversively have a say regarding setup, etc. :) my hope this that we can use existing custom ROMs (e.g., Desire ROM), kernels, etc on the at&t version. i'm (impatiently) waiting to read feedback on unlocking the bootloader and rooting the at&t version before i make another donation to Google. it would be nice if you could use the same radio software/firmware on both versions (like i did on my UK Touch HD (no US 3G) and my Telstra Touch HD (at&t 3G)). ok, i acknowledge i could be dreaming here, lol.

@jbrinkley - at&t has already closed the data plan loophole; using the T-Mo N1 on at&t will eventually result in the subscriber being moved to the $30/monthly smartphone plan. it happened to me, lol.

Upvote 0
Just ordered mine for tomorrow delivery. I currently have a company paid for 3GS and Blackberry 9700 which I like. (Apples and Oarnges). Since ATT does not have this through the corporate plan I have to pay out of pocket :(. So far from what I have been reading is that I am going to love or hate this phone. Glad CA has 30 day return policy although I will loose $45 if I return it. I am an EAS user so I already see that as being one issue.

I love how if you have an ATT sim with the Blackberry data plan you can use it in any phone as long as you use the APN settings. Been doing that for years.

Upvote 0
I just started mine up and so far I've noticed that it doesn't hold a 3G signal as well as my iphone 3G does. I'm in the office I work at and my iphone had full 3G bars. Swapped the sim into my new Nexus One and I get 2 3G bars and now it's stuck on Edge. Didn't T-Mobile users have this same problem?

If anyone wants me to look up any info I'd be happy to. This is my first android so you'd have to tell me where to look. =P

Upvote 0
Keep us posted on this. If an iphone has better reception then the ATT N1 we have a problem.

I just started mine up and so far I've noticed that it doesn't hold a 3G signal as well as my iphone 3G does. I'm in the office I work at and my iphone had full 3G bars. Swapped the sim into my new Nexus One and I get 2 3G bars and now it's stuck on Edge. Didn't T-Mobile users have this same problem?

If anyone wants me to look up any info I'd be happy to. This is my first android so you'd have to tell me where to look. =P

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones