1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Now - time to leave - late notification

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by UncleMike, Mar 13, 2013.

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

Instead of setting up reminders for some number of minutes before an appointment, I've been making sure to include a location for my appointments, and let Google Now tell me when it's time to leave. It's been working extremely well, notifying me about 10-15 minutes before it's time to leave (based on my current location) until just recently (maybe when we changed to Daylight Saving Time here in the US). Now it will sometimes not notify me until after the actual appointment time. For example, today I had an appointment setup for 2:50pm, and at 2:51pm I received a notification from Google Now telling me to leave by 2:41pm to arrive on time.

Has anyone else been having a similar experience?

2. ryanbruce

ryanbruce Lurker

You're not alone. For the past few weeks I've been getting my notifications after I've already arrived at work.

Time to leave: 7:44am [for 8am start]

Notification doesn't even come in until 8:20 or so on some days.

I don't remember if this issue started back when I wiped my Google Framework cache (trying to get my S3 to update) or if it's a more recent thing.

3. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I just had another calendar event come and go without a peep from Google Now. In fact, when I started Google Now manually, it only showed the weather, indicating that it wasn't even aware of the calendar event. I even resorted to killing Google Now using System Panel, and then restarting Google Now, but it still didn't even give any indication that it knew about the event, which was created by Tasker less than two hours before its scheduled start time, using the exact same address as the previous event.

It's now 1 hour past the start of the event, and 30 minutes past the end of the event, with no notification from Google Now. It's extremely frustrating that such a feature is so unreliable - even more so now that they're using it as a selling point on recent Droid commercials.

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I've been noticing that also for the last couple weeks, prior to that it had been extremely reliable. I usually get the notification just before I get to where I'm going. It was great before that. Saved me from being late a few times when there was unusually heavy traffic. It was nice to brag why I was on time and everyone else showed up late :cool:

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

With a little more digging, I'm found a few things that seem likely to be problematic.

1. Google Now was updated on my system on February 13 (file date on /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-1.apk).
    2. I received an OTA update to Android 4.2.2 on February 19 (file date on virtually all files in /system/app, including /system/app/velvet.apk (a.k.a. Google Search / Google Now)).
    3. Titanium Backup shows that system app Google Search has been updated (i.e. a newer version is installed in /data/app than in /system/app).
    4. These dates roughly correspond with when Google Now became unreliable.
    All this leads me to believe that my OTA update, containing an older version of Google Now than I was already using, somehow messed up my Google Now settings/data. As a result, I'm going to remove the update, clear my data, then reinstall the update. I'll let you know if I continue to have problems or not.

6. nudo

nudo Lurker

Did you have any luck? I'm on a Nexus 4 and have the same problem.

7. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

There was no change at the time. I think it's been better lately, but I'm really not sure - I've grown accustomed to not depending on it, so I often don't notice if it failed to notify or not.

8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I've noticed that mine works now, not sure when it started working again though. I wasn't too worried about it but it has been working right for at least a couple months now