1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Now voice commands not working properly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bryan7725, Oct 25, 2014.

1. bryan7725

bryan7725 Lurker

Hello all! First off, I'm new to AndroidForums, and I'm glad to be here.

I had a N5, dropped it, and asked Google for a new one. Just got it, and noticed that Google Now isn't working the way it was with my old N5.

For example, when I say "set timer for 30 minutes," it won't set automatically. I have to physically press the set timer button on my phone. The same thing happens when I say "set alarm for [time]." I almost overslept one day because I assumed that it went automatically like before, but it didn't.

Does anyone know how to fix this or if I didn't turn on a setting that I may have forgotten to turn on?

Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ktriebol

ktriebol Member

Is your Google Clock app disabled by any chance?

3. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

I guess there was an update for this but yeah you can't change it (its bugged?). All the other commands are automatic though like "call [this person]" don't need a touch input confirmation.

Attached Files:

4. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

Yeah it looks (via the article) that for some reason for timer and alarm it's not automatic anymore.

5. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Hmm... I find that strange because I just tried this feature using Google now and it worked perfectly fine for me.
    I would check and make sure that Google Play services is up to date. In fact I just updated Google play services today and it is working on my end.

I was also having an issue with "OK Google" about a week or so ago and updated Google Play Services and it solved the issue.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

Attached Files:

6. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

Did it actually automatically start the timer though? The issue people are having is that you can do the voice input fine but it won't automatically set afterwards. I am asking because I don't see the blue bar running along, which leads me to believe you may actually have the problem too.

I can confirm from my own testing that both commands work fine but do not automatically activate anymore: I have to click the start button for them to start whereas before if I waited till the blue bar ran across the screen it would start for me

xdrc45 likes this.
  7. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Ahh Yes... GuitarG20 your right! I misunderstood the issue at hand. I was thinking that the "Timer Function" its self wasn't working properly through the OK Google voice command.
    No mine doesn't start automatically, I do have to press the "Start Timer" button to start/engage the timer.
    You would assume that it would start automatically or you should at least be able to say "Start Timer" or something along those lines.

GuitarG20 likes this.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews