• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google pay and 3rd party lock screen?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I installed a 3rd party lock screen to get rid of the emergency call ability when locked (because it's my phone and I don't do health and softy, use your own phone to call an ambulance), but Google Pay gets upset because I "don't have a lock screen". Any way round this?

Google Pay clearly doesn't realise it's a lockscreen. To enable it, I have to turn off the built in one, which is presumably all Google Pay is checking.

On the phone it calls itself "Android 13 Lock", but on Google Play it's called "Q Lock Screen".

It said something along the lines of "enable screen protection to allow google pay to work". I can't look now as I uninstalled Google Pay in disgust. It didn't work when I tried to pay my vet bill anyway. The shop's machine didn't notice I was waving my phone there. The vet said she has to wave hers all over the place, upside down,. try several times. I'll stick to a debit card. Another lovely invention that's failed miserably - nothing wireless every works. My neighbour is always cursing bluetooth in his work van. Middle of a phonecall, oops, lost signal again.

Upvote 0
    Google Pay clearly doesn't realise it's a lockscreen. To enable it, I have to turn off the built in one, which is presumably all Google Pay is checking.

On the phone it calls itself "Android 13 Lock", but on Google Play it's called "Q Lock Screen".

It said something along the lines of "enable screen protection to allow google pay to work". I can't look now as I uninstalled Google Pay in disgust. It didn't work when I tried to pay my vet bill anyway. The shop's machine didn't notice I was waving my phone there. The vet said she has to wave hers all over the place, upside down,. try several times. I'll stick to a debit card. Another lovely invention that's failed miserably - nothing wireless every works. My neighbour is always cursing bluetooth in his work van. Middle of a phonecall, oops, lost signal again.

The payment methods I use don't rely on NFC. And often is often just scanning a printed QR code with the phone. The vet, or restaurant, or whatever doesn't need to have any EPOS at all. Basically you either pay with your phone, or use cash. No debit/credit cards in many places here.

Upvote 0
    The payment methods I use don't rely on NFC. And often is often just scanning a printed QR code with the phone. The vet, or restaurant, or whatever doesn't need to have any EPOS at all. Basically you either pay with your phone, or use cash. No debit/credit cards in many places here.

I've seen that in one petrol station here and that's it. But I don't use shops much, I use Ebay. But you live in a country a decade ahead of the UK.

Upvote 0
    "Decades ahead" depends on what tech you look at. The last time time I was in the US they still used the magnetic strips on bank cards, so are decades behind in that respect ;).

(I don't give a damn about using a phone for payments because the hardship of typing a PIN for large purchases is minimal and for up to £100 you don't even need that. Against which I see no reason to give Google information about everything I buy, never mind let them take a commission for doing so...)

Upvote 0
    I was referring to China where he lives.

I thought I'd try it out so I could take only one thing instead of two with me. But it doesn't work. Maybe the transmitter's broken in mine, it is 2nd hand. I'm not stupid enough to pay new Samsung prices! It would have been interesting if I didn't have the card aswell.... well it was only the vet I've used for 20 years I guess they would have let me pay later. Or actually they probably would have taken a bank transfer - now that's something a phone is handy for. I used it to pay someone privately (I don't mean sneakily, I mean not a shop) when buying parrots without the hassle of getting out a tonne of cash.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones