1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Pay won't set up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Brock297, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Brock297

Brock297 Newbie

I have an LG V40 ThinQ. When I try to set up Google Pay, it says "This phone can't be used...rooted or altered...". How can I get Google Pay to work? Below is all the pertinent information I have:

• Downloaded a number of root checkers, all indicate phone not rooted
    • Bought phone off of Ebay
    • Thought it was a factory unlocked phone, but model number (LM-V405UA) indicates it's a Sprint phone
    • Based on that, I'm guessing it was altered in some way
    Other than rooting the phone, any suggestions on getting Google Pay to work?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

This is just a guess because I've never rooted a phone. I would make sure you uninstalled all the apps you used to check your phone. Maybe one of them has something in it that is fooling Google Pay. Then I'd clear the cache on the Google Pay app and your phone's cache. Finally restart your phone and try to set it up again. Or uninstall Google Pay, restart your phone and install it again. Then try to set it up again. Thinking about it, I would probably uninstall Google Pay first and if that didn't work do everything from the beginning. Good luck.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I had Google Pay unabled in my phone. Enabled it to test. Had to jump over a few hurdles, but got it set up.

Best advice I can give is to follow Mark's suggestions.

Good luck.

MrJavi, markdoc and ocnbrze like this.
  4. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

If your device is rooted, it'll be necessary to pass "Saftynet" check in order for Google pay to work. Just download a "saftynet checker" app from Google PS.
    It also wont pass if you have a permissive kernel or Xposed framwork.

#4 MrJavi, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    markdoc and ocnbrze like this.
  5. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

markdoc likes this.

LG V40 ThinQ Forum

The LG V40 ThinQ release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews