1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

"Google Phone" is real - Google played out Verizon?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by digdug, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Hegemony

Hegemony Android Enthusiast

Some of you need to take a good ol' fashioned chill pill. Who cares if Google is making a phone? It's still Android. The updates we all thrive on will continue to come. If the "Google Phone" were running on something other than Android, then we could worry. But as it is, I see no reason why 2.1 won't land on the Droid as well.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

Hi, DigDug

So, is it the phone/service or the OS that is making you think that you made a mistake? If it's the OS, then I don't think even the G-phone will be issue-free. I think it's more of a branding strategy for google when they decided to come out with the G-phone. I believe Google will continue to provide support for all of their Android phones. It would be silly of them if they didn't.
    However, if it's the actual phone/service you are on the fence about. Then, I would say if you don't keep it if you're not satisfied. It seems you are a very patient person so it wouldn't hurt to wait a few more months to see if your choices broaden.

3. jmccarthy14

jmccarthy14 Well-Known Member

I think people are confusing "google is coming out with a GTC Gense GUI" with "android is dead."

4. krichek

krichek Android Enthusiast

According to Googles blog its simply a mobile lab for employees to test new products and technologies. Official Google Mobile Blog: An Android dogfood diet for the holidays

I for one am not worried in the least that we wouldn't contine to get updates etc if they did sell their own phone.

Besides, I personally just don't see it being all that successful since they would have to either use AT&T, boy doesn't that sound like a recipe for disaster with the network issues already. Or they'd have to go with Tmobile and their almost nonexistent 3G network.

The only way I see it working is if they could partner with Sprint and/or Verizon for a data only plan and then use Voip for calls etc, which is even more unlikely.

5. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Android Enthusiast

[​IMG]

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

No worries, I totally hear where you're coming from (my last phone was a RAZR which was completely crippled with Verizon bloatware).

I'm also a bit nervous buying anything with a two year contract and I don't have a ton of trust for VZ or moto. Truth is, I'm sure a better phone will come out. And I'm sure I'll want it and be jealous of it, but for now I hold in my hand the best Android phone available :)

And that makes me happy.

Worse comes to worse we can always root our phones and grab Android 2.1 :D

7. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Android Enthusiast

Exactly

It's pretty simple really and I don't know why people don't get it. Google is not going to take a giant dump on the Open Handset Alliance and screw themselves.

Does this look like a list of companies you want to get on the bad side of?
    Open Handset Alliance

"Oooh look at us we are teh Google and we are going to RAM it up the ass of every partner we have except HTC and T-Mobile"

As far as these rumours about it not being the "real" Android and not the "real" google experience. What more google do you want? Notes and tasks? What's missing now?

8. march7th

march7th Newbie

Everyone that just switched to Verizon for the Craptastic Droid just got punked. this is awesome

http://twitpic.com/tbdig

9. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Android Enthusiast

Tis the passion then.

Droid users should not worry, new phones come out all the time, it's natural.

10. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Has the 4 icons in the same order as the droid... strange, I thought the droid was the oddball layout.

11. CyD

CyD Newbie

Better quit buying technology then. The Droid will be obsolete within 6 months. That's just how things are.

12. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

I don't get it?

13. Flahusky

Flahusky Well-Known Member

I lol`d IRL

14. AllDroid

AllDroid Newbie

I found this info about the new Google Phone at Syber News. Syber News The Google Phone, Unlocked (Confirmed And More Details) .

The phone is “really, really fast,” says someone who has seen one in action. It runs on a Snapdragon chip, has a super high-resolution OLED touchscreen, is thinner than the iPhone, has no keyboard, and two mics. The mic on the back of the phone helps eliminate background noise, and it also has a “weirdly” large camera for a phone. And if you don’t like the touchscreen keyboard, a voice-to-text feature is supposed to let you dictate emails and notes by speaking directly into the phone.
    Here are the details we know so far about the phone: It will be called the Google Phone and will launch in early January, 2010. It won’t be sold by any one carrier, but instead will be an unlocked GSM phone. In the U.S., that means T-Mobile and possibly AT&T, whose exclusivity deal with the iPhone is about to run out. It will be running Android 2.1

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews