• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Google Phone" is real - Google played out Verizon?

digdug

Nov 13, 2009
Google Phones were handed out to all Google employees. The phone is apparently going to be sold directly by Google and apparently available in January. I'm not sure who the attorneys for Verizon are, but Google must have done some deft negotiations to be able to pull this off. They just shafted Motorala, Verizon - and us - in the butt. I'm pretty sure, post Christmas, Droid updates and fixes will become non-existent as Google focuses on their own offering. Google is indeed Microsoft with a crayola logo.

They just shafted Motorala, Verizon - and us - in the butt. I'm pretty sure, post Christmas, Droid updates and fixes will become non-existent as Google focuses on their own offering. Google is indeed Microsoft with a crayola logo.

What does this even mean ?

How would Google having their own phone shaft anyone ?

The phone is apparently going to be sold directly by Google and apparently available in January.
Where did you even get this info ?

Why didnt you provide proof ?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
ohnoes.gif

(all in good fun)

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe I was projecting. Truth is, I just purchased a Droid and am still in that, "did I just make a mistake?" phase. The many OS issues on this phone and news of Google's own venture doesn't help. This is my first phone upgrade in 3 years - I don't go through them like many do, so I want something I can hang onto for some time...

Upvote 0
Google Phones were handed out to all Google employees. The phone is apparently going to be sold directly by Google and apparently available in January. I'm not sure who the attorneys for Verizon are, but Google must have done some deft negotiations to be able to pull this off. They just shafted Motorala, Verizon - and us - in the butt. I'm pretty sure, post Christmas, Droid updates and fixes will become non-existent as Google focuses on their own offering. Google is indeed Microsoft with a crayola logo.

OMG did they have to do deft negotiations for Android phones to be carried on Sprint and T-Mobile? Just a little FYI Verizon was actually the 3rd provider in the US to get Android phones....T-Mobile and Sprint had them before Verizon. You Verizon guys crack me up.

I would put my money on HTC being the manufacture of the phone is Google is handing out to it's employee's. I don't think there is plans to ever sell the phone as the "Google Phone". Android being on the most devices as possible is way more profitable to Google then selling some handsets. If it's an HTC device we might see it in the GSM market someday but probably under the HTC brand.

Upvote 0

Dumbest post i have read in a long while.

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe I was projecting. Truth is, I just purchased a Droid and am still in that, "did I just make a mistake?" phase. The many OS issues on this phone and news of Google's own venture doesn't help. This is my first phone upgrade in 3 years - I don't go through them like many do, so I want something I can hang onto for some time...

You are aware that 'google's own venture' runs Android as well, right? The OS isn't going anywhere and will continue to be updated regardless of what Google does or does not release.

Upvote 0
Apparently, All android version thus far is not the "real" android experience were suppose to be getting and the the "G-phone" will have the "real" android 2.1 on it. The question is are we getting 2.1? I don't care if they make a google phone, but I'll be a little upset if we won't be able to update to 2.1 :(

Upvote 0
This marks the beginning of mobile phone companies as dumb providers. A customer in the future will buy the phone outright and choose the provider (no contracts). Verizon will be going GSM sometime in 2010. I am very happy with my DROID and have no plans on changing until the OLED fold out screens phones hit the market (8 to 9 inch screens on a phone that is physically the same size as what we use today). Yes, the next year is gonna be amazing.

Upvote 0
GSM-Only. Made by HTC. To be released in January, direct from Google with a completely custom-designed Android experience.
And that's why I'm glad I got a Droid. I'm not gonna swap carriers to use a "Google phone". No matter what comes out in 2010, I'll still hang onto my Droid until my contract is up. (even though I'm still in my 30 day return period)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones