• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google phone or ...?

Hey people,

Just wondering about my next phone as my contract is coming to a close by the end of the year.

What with the SGS3, Nexus Prime and HTC phones that will come out over the next little while competing in the Spec wars, I have been left with the conclution that whatever I get, its bound to have a good set of hardware.

My wondering is though, now having had a Vodafone (Google) HTC Magic & HTC Legend (which was not branded) if it is a better option to buy the new Nexus when it comes out due to the fact that I know I wont be rooting my phone and i do want to have all the updates from Android as they come out.

As Google are producing the Nexus phones would it be fair to assume that they will favour their phones over other manufactures and the Android OS will be updated on those handsets first?

Sorry iv'e rambled a bit.... hope to have some of your thoughts :)

Well, first, the Nexus handsets will always be updated first (it's yet to be seen, but somewhat doubtful that the N1 will get Ice Cream Sandwich). How did you like the Sense interface on the Legend? Did you find the widgets and layout much more useful than the Magic? The next Nexus will be vanilla (pure) Android, but the details on ICS are still up in the air. I'd say, it's whether you want to keep with Sense (which removing all of, requires rooting), or go with faster updates and pure Android (in addition with what sounds like AMAZING specs).

Reactions: suo52scots
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for getting back to me Dreadnatty08 :)

Well, there was quite a transition from the no sense UI in the Magic to the fully loaded Legend. (I hated the Vodacrap harness as you were locked into a phone that had no scope for change). Sense was something i had been looking forward to, watching everyone else around have the 7 page customization. However in moving on I think that it does not necessarily matter too much about the UI as im assuming it will have no effect on the widgets....

I guess the only HTC things i use is their selection of clocks but that im sure i can live without :) I have recently made the switch back to the Gmail application instead of the HTC mail widget which just was not loading... I use the HTC calendar widget but again this is probably just a luxury.

Im just a little tired of the lag i have with my Legend and i dont know whether to attribute this to the UI or just the processor in the phone... I know however that the upgrade to any of the new phones coming soon will be substantial in terms of fluidity of page movement and general phone usage so im not as concerned about that, probably just having the latest Android with scope for upgrading the software as updates become available and decent battery life.

The one thing i have disliked about my HTC Legend was the fact that with everything running - its life was limited and was slow to get going again in general use. Suggestions online have been to have fewer widgets and turn things off to conserve battery but in my opinion what is the point of having a smartphone that can do everything when it actually cant....

Anyway i think pure Android is no bad thing at all and maybe easier to manage?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones