• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Photos is crap, discuss...

bIOforger

Android Expert
Jun 19, 2014
It really is crap and buggy.

I can't for the life of me get decent wallpapers i've downloaded off this site to auto backup to Google photos recently, no matter what i try.

I email the wallpapers to myself from work so that i can then dload them onto the phone, they then appear in the Download folder on my phone which is on the SD card. I can view them fine in the phone's gallery. I go into the Google photos app and they either aren't there at all (haven't backed up) or if i mess about with it and turn the cloud icon off and on in device folders for the "Download" OR "Wallpapers" folder they then show but with a cloud icon in the corner of each relevant pic and a line through it. i.e. they aren't online in Google Photos.

However all my other folders have backed up fine to Google photos. Camera pics, memes, cars, etc etc. These are all in different folders on the SD card.

I've cleared the Google+ and Photos cache and data, tried turning data/wifi on/off or on together. Turned sync off/on turned the photos backup options on/off (it says its backing up, but it doesn't or gets stuck at 1 of xxxx). Nothing works for these particular wallpaper pics.

It has worked in the past as i have hundreds of wallpaper pics shown in Google photos using the same method.

If i do any of this from a PC straight to google photos it works just fine. Well saying that even the PC autobackup tool doesn't always backup every single photo either and i have to upload the missing ones manually.

The app is buggy as hell and its doing my head in. Rant over.

Thanks for ranting. I've been trying to get Google Photos set up over the last few days and have had a variety of wacky results. After a day or two I finally got everything from my phone and my wife's uploaded, and all looked well from both phones and my Nexus 7. Then I downloaded the Windows uploader, uploaded all my "real camera" pics, and most of the stuff from the phones disappeared. Plus each device shows a different version of what's there. GP sounds great, but based on my experience and what I've seen on the support forum, it's not quite ready for prime time.

Upvote 0
Yea i also use photobucket, problem is it resizes all your photos unless you pay, whereas Google is free and only resizes by small amounts. Or not at all if you use the space limited option.

I have not had any trouble with it resizing my stuff, and I have put up some huge images.... maybe I paid somewhere back in my olden daze?

I generally though always try to presize all of my images to 1200 or less pixel width before uploading, because the algorithms used the web hosts are not efficient for preserving detail... it depends on the purpose to which the new image is destined for.

like if I want to have an image linked directly into a forum post, I will generally make it 640x480 so that it stays inside the post window.

Like here where I link to a slideshow of an accident that I survived back in Aug 2008.... this was not a fun experience, the truck driver thought he owned the whole damn road.

Accident Slideshow by Dryheat2012 | Photobucket

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
I need to play with it again, I haven't used it for a while. Yikes! That accident looked nasty. Did you walk away from it?

Walk away from it? No..... I was carried off by my friends in the Fire Department....
When they pulled my jacket off, they saw my Fire Department uniform and I was in the ER Trauma room less than 8 minutes from the time the accident occurred. I also had a huge red VIP Fire Dept Personnel stamp that covered the top of the admitting papers.

I spent 5 days in ICU in a coma (medically induced, brain swelling, 3 concussions, 12 days in the hospital, 6 months in physical therapy, another year in a desk job especially created to allow me to work to retirement.... totally exhausted over 2,000 hours of over time leave saved up, vacation, plus my friends in the department coughed up two full months of donations to cover my paychecks.

When it was over, I did not have to pay a dime.... Insurance paid it all, plus the above benefits mentioned as used up. The driver of the semi? He did not wear a seat belt and he ended up on his head between the right side door and the passenger seat with a broken neck. He is now a quadraplegic. I feel sorry for him, I'm sure he did not intentionally create the accident.....

but..... his logbook was 12 days w/o an entry which was last in Seattle, WA and the accident occurred in Phoenix, AZ. Witnesses said he was veering left/right in the lanes, and he almost ran into the rear of some cars stopped on the freeway because it was "go home time" and the rubber band effect makes traffic 5 mph or 80 mph... you all know how that works. I think he just saw the HOV lane was open in front of him and he just decided to take it.... although it is not legal for him to do so... and he did not look in the mirrors to see if it was open behind him.

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones