1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Pixel 5 delay & gap

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by James Grainger, Oct 31, 2020.

1. James Grainger

I ordered a Google Pixel 5 on 28/10, still not dispatched and has delivery date for 17/11.

Why such a delay? When I went to the Google Store it only said the sorta sage one was out of stock and the black one was in stock.

Also is the delay due to the gap issue?

I've now cancelled my order, as I sent messages asking why the delay and not had a single reply.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Brian706 likes this.
  3. James Grainger

Due to the issues with the gap and delay

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

That's better than mine. I ordered on October 4 and not expected until November 18-19.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

The "gap issue" is almost certainly not the reason for any shipping delay. Google support has indicated to customers that the small amount of gap exhibited on some devices is well within tolerances and won't impact the IP68 rating. And that seems to have been confirmed by at least one teardown which suggests that the gap may be cause by slightly too much sealant applied before the screen is pressed into the body.

It turns out that my own Pixel 5 is affected... and I never would have noticed if not for all of the noise about the gap issue. I can only see it if the light is just right and I hold the phone just so - and, of course, only if I remove the phone from its case. It's a complete non-issue for me.

I think @ocnbrze's theory is more likely. Google always seems to have trouble meeting the initial demand following a device launch - and they seem to have been particularly impacted by COVID since they're still doing company-wide WFH, which slows everything down.

#5 codesplice, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    oleb84 and ocnbrze like this.

Google Pixel 5 Forum

The Google Pixel 5 release date was 15 October. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 16MP camera, 8GB RAM, Snapdragon 765G processor, and 4080mAh battery.

15 October
Release Date
Reviews