1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Play (Android Market)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 4hawk, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 4hawk

4hawk Lurker

[If this is an off-the-wall question, I apologize, but can't find a similar discussion via search. Similarly, this looked like the right forum to post. If otherwise, moderators feel free to move.] As you likely know, when approached from a computer, Google Play (Android Market) will list which applications are compatible with which devices, providing the Market had prior knowledge about each of them. I like this feature and have used it to maintain compatibility between devices and OS builds that I currently have. I'm looking for the reverse of this. IOW, whether a certain program will work on a device I have yet to own. Rationale: Cross-compatibility is important to me in some instances. I've often had to use alternate programs instead of a preferred one just to maintain that compatibility, and it's always by testing each program on each device. Invariably, there's going to be a newer device to replace a current one. Since I have yet to own the new device, I can't check a certain app on the market for compatibility. Example: Of my current devices, program 'x' will, say, work on the old Moto Droid. The same program won't be available for the Acer, probably because it's a tablet. And, the same program won't work on the 'Eris', I'm guessing because the OS build is frozen at this point. Is there such a reverse reference/matrix, and I've just been unable to find it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

I'm not aware of an app or method of accomplishing what you want. However, the "compatibility" tag is not foolproof. Case in point: Zeam launcher has supposedly never been compatible with any Honeycomb device, yet it worked perfectly on my Tab until version 3.1.10.

4hawk likes this.
  3. 4hawk

4hawk Lurker

Thanks for your prompt reply, and for understanding my question correctly (couldn't think of better way to describe). I was afraid this might be the case. I feel that instead of a local app, this should be implemented on the Market side of things, perhaps via a drill-down menu of manufacturer, model, etc. It's not as if the process doesn't have precedent elsewhere. Even if it means the "lookup" matrix only worked from a PC. And, instead of specific models (admittedly difficult), perhaps a processor, OS build, and a phone/tablet reference would be sufficient.

Your reference to Zeam is as good an example as any. When I was looking for a different launcher, it's quite possible I passed over Zeam entirely, based only on the compatibility list.

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Market also assumed my wifi only Coby was a T-Mobile device.