1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Play Draining Data Plan

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rudysan, Nov 2, 2014.

1. rudysan

rudysan Lurker

Hi, I have a new S5, since I started to use the phone, my data plan have been drained super fast, more that 150mb in 5 minutes, when I opened the Data use program, showed that Google Play is the one draining the data, plan, I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling updates and forcing to stop. Is there anyway to complete uninstall Google Play and get a new one? Any help will be appreciated. :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

You need to open the Play Store app, go to Settings, turn OFF the Automatic Updates.

Also, on your phone, go into Settings there and turn off updates.

That is the first thing I do with a new phone. I despise the way "developers" think we just must have their latest reincarnation of someone else's idea. Only changed 3 bytes in the program, but now they want us to download the complete app again and replace the one we have that is working "just fine, thank you".

Nope, if the original app is Not Broke, don't break it by replacing it with a different one.

rudysan likes this.
  3. rudysan

rudysan Lurker

Thanks for the input I will go ahead and do it.

4. Nickster68

Nickster68 Lurker

Sorry for a silly question, as I am brand new to Android, but here exactly in Settings are you able to turn off updates.

Nick

5. Drunder40

Drunder40 Well-Known Member

I think you actually do that through Play Store.. not from the phone itself. Don't know the exact steps but I am sure someone can chime in..

6. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

Open the play store and swipe across the screen from left to right and a menu comes up. Select settings then turn off auto updates. It will then just give messages when updates are available and you can do them at your convience. Mary

7. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Actually, Google addressed this issue a while ago, with smart app updates.
    Google Flips The Switch On Smart App Updates In The Play Store [Video]

Note that this works for the user apps. But system apps like google play services or play store app etc are auto-updated in the background whenever a data connection is available.

8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

ah, thanks for that clarification. I had missed the difference and was getting a bit miffed with some of the Google stuff continuing to update even though I had turned OFF updates.

I still have a handle on it though, because I turn the internet off when my phone is idle. tee hee, they can't update with the door closed. :D

9. Arsonman

Arsonman Well-Known Member

I just checked the box that updates the apps over wifi only. That way it updates only when connected to Wifi.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews