• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play issue

dgb

Lurker
Apr 6, 2013
Hi,

I'll start by explaining i'm pretty technologically simple. So I apologise if my terminology or explanations appear stupid.

Recently, during an auto update, my Whatsapp started to play-up, it was updating for hours, so eventually, I just cancelled the update, because turning the phone off and on wasn't doing the job. From then on, my whatsapp wouldn't open, and my google play would freeze when I tried to open it.

I gave it to my mate to have a look at, and he went on my applications manager, uninstalled whatsapp, which did nothing and google play still froze when opened. He then went back on app manager, cleared the data and cache for google play, and now when I click on it, it briefly opens, but just closes straight away. I thought he knew what he was doing, but it seems not...

Is there a simple way of getting google play back? Or is there another route I should take?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you,

I gave it a go, and for a moment it worked, it asked me to 'agree' to the t&c's. However, it just then switches itself off. It does at least say it's loading for a minute before doing so, which is an improvement on before...

Sorry to be pain.

Would reseting my factory settings make the difference as a last resort?

Upvote 0
That worked briefly, then it closed again. It even gave me chance to search for apps to download before closing, although now it just turns off again.

If I was to reset my settings, would I treat it as a completely new phone next time around, and set up new account info, as to ensure it doesn't recognise my previous profile and adjust my apps... etc accordingly, or would it not anyway?

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have any problems using the same gmail account but if you want to you could use a different one. Just make sure you have your contacts and any photos or videos you want to keep backed up before wiping.

Before you wipe your phone can you try downloading something from the play store via your internet browser. I'm just curious to see if that'll give it the nudge to get things running again.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Yup. I made mistake of uninstalling it once and couldnt use any gapps lol :)

Ditto!

No doubt your line of thinking was "I don't use G-TALK,I'll just delete it.":p
I did this w/my HUAWEI ASCEND,as it needed all the unnecessary bloat removed as possible.

Luckily some kind folks here @ A/F helped me out & I've been here ever since.

So the old adage is true:Beware of feeding a stray dog,for once you do,They'll NEVER go away..........:D

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones