1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Play issues

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by the_moose, Dec 23, 2013.

1. the_moose

the_moose Lurker
    None

May 8, 2010
    Male
    England
    Hi all,

I'm having some problems with Google Play and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

I've got thousands of tracks on my desktop computer and have been using Google Play to listen to music there. I've now got Google Play on my phone (HTC One X) and because I didn't specify which tracks I wanted on my phone (I didn't think about it at the time) it seems to have downloaded random tracks onto the device.

I'm trying to set it up so I have my favourite tracks/albums/playlists on my phone, so I've "pinned" all the tracks I want to keep on the device. Problem is it's been downloading on WiFi for over 24 hours and hardly any tracks are shown as being on the device. The WiFi connection's fine, I'm getting about 5MB download speed and the phone is connected properly as I can use other functions on WiFi.

I assume Google Play has a fixed amount of storage it keeps on the device, so I thought it would just swap my pinned songs for the ones it randomly chose in the first place. Is that right?

And is there something I'm missing? The info on the notification bar shows it going slowly to 100% and then restarting from zero, but there are only a couple of playlists which are shown as partially complete ie the circle background to the "pinned" icon is partly coloured orange.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to remove other songs first, and if so how do I do that?

Cheers, Moose.

Advertisement

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you already uploaded all of your songs to Google play the only way to get rid of them is delete them all one by one manually, which is a pain in arse :p. Otherwise you could delete the cache on the computer and start over, I would suggest against this. Just because uploading takes awhile, for me at least it took awhile to upload all 4k tracks.

The cap on music I believe is 20,000 songs.

If anything what is happening is the device is trying to download these tracks to your device but could be occasionally losing connectivity and therefore it keeps showing it as restarting at 0% when in fact it's probably just starting over from wherever it left off.

If you are trying to download a huge amount of songs to your device it will take awhile just let your phone download it all.

3. the_moose

the_moose Lurker
    None

May 8, 2010
    Male
    England
    Thanks for the quick reply mate, maybe I'm being a bit impatient. I just assumed it would be a bit quicker - it's sat on charge right next to the router so I'm not sure it should be losing connection, but maybe there's an issue with it that I haven't spotted.

Thanks anyway,

Moose.

4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm not saying it's an issue with the router or internet, I'm just saying maybe it just is restarting it from 0% every so often. Phones act weird sometimes and typically when I make music available offline on Google Music it doesn't exactly sync them seamlessly, meaning it jumps around in percentages like from 20% back to 0%, but I still see that it has properly downloaded 20% of the songs I asked it to.

5. the_moose

the_moose Lurker
    None

May 8, 2010
    Male
    England
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I've read it again and see what you mean. Thanks.