1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Play Music and SD cards

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Steve112, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Steve112

Steve112 Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2014
    Male
    Hi -
    I have a Galaxy S5 and am trying to copy a large amount of music to play with Google Play Music. I have an external SD card of 64GB:

• I can copy files into the phone internal storage from my PC
    • I can copy files to the SD card from the PC
    • The Google Play Music app only seems to be able to see music files from my internal storage.
    Can anyone tell me how I can set Google Play Music to show music from my external card? The card seems to have been set up with a number of folders, and I'm currently copying them into /Android/data/com.google.android.music/

Ideally I'd like to have the SD card as my default storage for music, but a first step would be to see the music I've so far copied in. If I go to the Application Manager there is a button marked 'Move to SD card' but this is greyed out.

Regards, Steve.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Although I don't use it myself, because it's not available, I'm pretty sure Google Play Music doesn't support external SD. Because it's Google, they really want you to be streaming from their "cloud", plus their Nexus devices don't have SD anyway. Try another music player that does support SD, like Rocket Player, which is very good IMO.

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  3. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    You can play from the SD but you need them to be mp3 files . but as mike said cloud is better and if I was you load all the files into your Google drive and stream from the drive sounds the same .

4. BRAINZ2013

None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Park Ave., HELL
    If you choose to go with the SD card make a folder on the SD card named "MUSIC" load all the mp3 to the folder and then go into the Google music app sign in and tap your email and boom your now blasting your tunes

mikedt likes this.
  5. Steve112

Steve112 Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2014
    Male
    Thanks for all your answers. I take your point about cloud - I might move in that direction slowly, but I'm a bit old fashioned and like the idea of having my music local (presumably you need to be collected via 3g or wifi to be able to play it?).

BRAINZ2013, thanks for the suggestion of setting up a MUSIC folder - that worked great immediately. Obviously the folder I selected (which I assume the Samsung set up when I first inserted the SH card) couldn't be recognised by Google Play Music. It also plays all the tunes recorded in iTunes as .m4a - so that's perfect!

Thanks again!

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  6. BRAINZ2013

None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Park Ave., HELL
    No problem here to help if you need anything else . o almost forgot to say your correct about the signal with cloud but I just store mines there cause if my SD card ever mess up you can't just replace the mp3 :mad::eek: so you will take a BIG LOST . so just a heads up start storing in a cloud backup it will help in the end;):cool::rolleyes: