• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Services consumes all memory

chuckh1958

Jul 7, 2011
My wife has been having a problem with her LS-740 LG Volt for a couple of weeks now. Every day she gets a warning notification that the phone is out of memory and when we sort the apps by storage used, Google Play Services is consuming 2-3g of memory - 10x that of any other app. I have the identical phone, identical ROM version, and identical Google Play Services version and dont run into the problem. On my phone Google Play Services is typically consuming about 150M and never goes much above that.

The only way to fix it is to go to Apps, Google Play Services, Manage Space, and tap "clear all data". That works for about 12-24 hours before it gradually grows and consumes all space again.

What would cause it to go out of control and consume all memory? Could dropping the phone have caused it? She's dropped it a few times and even though it has gorilla glass, a 2 ft fall onto a tile floor cracked the screen pretty badly.

ROM version = LS740SV6
Google Play Services version = 9.2.56 (034-124593566)

We've tried doing a factory reset and reinstalling apps but it did not fix the problem. I've googled for the problem but come up empty.

I saw this happen once on another device. Put the phone into airplane mode, clear data for both the play store and play services, and uninstall updates to both. Reboot, and then disable airplane mode. I'd recommend going to WiFi, it'll update play store and services again.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight and post the results here tomorrow.

Upvote 0
My husband and I are having this same issue with our Volts. His started doing it last week, and I was researching how to resolve his issue ... with no luck. So, just to be redundant, I suppose, my Volt started doing it as well, yesterday. It also drains the battery whilst eating all available internal storage. Yesterday my Volt was reporting there was more space used than actually available (3.98G used of 3.93G total) ...and just about nothing can be moved to the SD. The SD is practically unused, it's reporting 58.91G available of 59.46 total.

I'm going to try yet another reset and disable everything google that I can. Hopefully I don't break it ;)

Upvote 0
Sounds exactly like my wife's issue. We've also noticed the battery drains very fast now too. I thought it was just that the battery needed to be replaced too but now I'm not sure. Looking in settings at whats consuming the batter doesnt yield any hint as to what may be going on.

Settings only tells you some of what is going on. The issue is with play services.

Upvote 0
Could this be somehow tied to your user account? Have you tried logging into a different account after clearing data?

Also, one more thing. Perhaps it is syncing this data. Do you use chrome browser, Google Drive, Google Photos, Picassa, or Moments? Picassa is a problem for me. You can find answers in the Google settings app.

Let me know if you need more help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We use Drive and Chrome but none of the others. None of our Drive files are set to store locally either. We have separate google accounts but we both have each others accounts on our respective phones. We only sync things for our own accounts though on our own phones. The other is only there so we can easily log onto a shared youtube account for casting.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
The first time I tried to fix it I did a factory reset. That should have cleared everything. The problem came back a few hours after the reset.

That's what made me think it was syncing. Although, contrary to popular belief, a factory reset does not wipe the system partition. Only flashing the factory firmware can do that. Right now I'm having a lot of trouble tracking down the firmware. Not a good sign.

Upvote 0
Question is how do you know which version of GPS you had before so you know which one to download?

Also how can two identical phones with the same ROM version and GPS version behave differently? My wife's phone is losing all RAM and battery in a few hours while mine is working fine. Only difference is I'm rooted and she isn't. That shouldn't affect GPS.

Upvote 0
;)

I may have taken a little creative license there.

I suppose being rooted could make a difference but not sure how. All that does is install the su command which allowed me to modify some settings to enable free tethering.

I was ready to upgrade anyway. Wanted to get a device officially supported by Cyanogenmod like a G3. I just bought one on eBay and will give my wife the rooted Volt. Problem solved (for us anyway).

Upvote 0
This is really making me wary of buying another android device. Now, along with myself and my husband having trouble with our Volts, one of my sons is having the issue with his Samsung Galaxy Prevail. The other son (also using the Prevail) is not. Not yet, at least. I have told him what to watch for.

So very glad I didn't alter my kindle to use google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones