1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google Play SLOW download

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by camphill, Jan 9, 2014.

1. camphill

camphill Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Just purchased my Note10 today. Installing numerous apps from Google Play and downloading is incredibly slow. I am connected to my 802.11AC router so it should be zipping along like my Note 3 does. A lock screen widget took 1 minute to download. Facebook took 5 minutes to download.

Anyone else seeing this?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The speed from point A to point B on the internet depends on the traffic at all points of the path taken. It has nothing to do with the speed from point C to point D.

IOW, the path from your provider to Google's nearest server could be incredibly busy, while almost everyone else's path is fine. (If you're on cable, and have a dozen or so neighbors on the same segment all downloading movies, your downloads will crawl, while the guy on the next block, on a different segment, won't have any problem.)

It's just how the internet works. Remember, the prime design criterion was "data gets there eventually", not "data gets there fast". It still works like that sometimes, even though we're used to almost real-time video chatting. (If you chat with someone in th next room, you'll see and hear a fractional-second delay, even with the same carrier - that's why the "almost".) Routing (the decision of which path the packets take from the server to your computer) still doesn't usually have "fastest" as a priority.

tl;dr

It's just one of those things you have to learn to live with.

3. mrteeth

mrteeth Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2012
    I would try downloading Speedtest.net and run it. See what it tells you.

4. camphill

camphill Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks Rukbat. I should have started by saying that I've been working in the IT field for almost 30 years. I understand how networking works.

Speedtest shows 54mb down.

I run a Plex server in my house and all my devices connect to it to show media. All my devices play everything just fine except for the Note 10.1. Movies play perfectly without stutter on everything except the Note 10. My Note 3 plays perfectly. On the Note 10 movies hang for a second every 10 seconds. Either the wifi or the cpu can't keep up.

Anyone running Plex to compare?

5. mrteeth

mrteeth Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2012
    I have Plex as well. I stream HD movies from my PC without any buffering and I'm only around 15-20mbps.