1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Play Store backup

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by wrighty.uk.gor, Jul 4, 2012.

1. wrighty.uk.gor

I am getting a Galaxy s3 today and i know when i enter my account info that google play will start to download all my apps.

My question is will it install every thing that is currently installed on the phone i have ? Or will it install every thing i have ever downloaded?

Also i have a table on the same account. will it leave them apps alone as they are not on the phone ? Or will it just install all them as well ?

Thanks i would just try it but it will install over 400 things if it install every thing and really dont want to do that to a new phone :)

Thanks ian

Advertisement

2. Dieselbud

Dieselbud Well-Known Member

I had to manually download my market apps that I had on my old phone. They were all listed though.

3. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast

When you get the new phone sign on with your Google account and open the store. It will give you a list of every app you have ever bought or tried ever.

You need to select what to download to the new phone. You can also do this online from a computer if its easier.

4. wrighty.uk.gor

Well if any one else is interested i just done it yesterday to see what happened and the play store DID just automatically install every thing i had on my S2 it DID NOT install every thing in the list like i was expecting

Impressed VERY as really did not want every thing and did not wanna install one by one. good work google

5. TadeoNYC

TadeoNYC Well-Known Member

Did you do this from your phone or a PC?

Can you explain a bit what automatically happened? Did it happen as soon as you logged in, or did you have to navigate through any options?

6. wrighty.uk.gor

Turned old phone off.
    Turned new s3 on
    Entered Googles username and password
    Every thing started to download that really was it.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Bit late, but I was going to add that it depends on whether you have that backup setting in the "Privacy" menu selected (Gingerbread menu structure - insufficiently familiar with ICS).

8. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Google typically will re-load everything that was installed on the old device, assuming it is compatible with the new device. I have found it much easier to sit down at a PC and log into the Play Store and install from there. Phone's are nice and the interfaces are really good, but a full size screen with a mouse really makes things much easier and Google sends them directly to your phone.

BigRedGonzo

9. TadeoNYC

TadeoNYC Well-Known Member

I just did a factory reset, because when hotmail synced to my contacts it all went to hell, and only got worse as I tried to fix it.

In order to have all of the apps install automatically you need to check the box auto-update apps. There is another box right below that is for wi-fi only updating. Check both and you are good to go.