1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Play Store reject my app because of background location

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Preda, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Preda

Preda Lurker

I have a problem with Google Play Store approval process. My application has been rejected multiple times. Bellow is the what I received from the Google Support:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/Lx89V.png

They say that selected feature should deliver clear value to the user and be important to the core functionality, or main purpose of the app. And that's exactly the case here: the app's core feature is the Nearby Page, which shows people geographically close to you. From there, you can see their profile and start chatting. So, it's absolutely required that background location sync every users location periodically, so I can see a valid list of people around me.

Here is a brief video showing how the Nearby functionality looks like:

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Does your description of the app for the user include the information that the app will not function if location access is not granted?

Although not particularly clear, it sounds to me that Google feels that you have not met their requirement of informing users (of your app) that without background location access the app will not function properly.

3. Preda

Preda Lurker

Hmm...I'm not sure if that's the case. If you take a look at the video that I posted above, at 0:12 time, you will see that the disclosure say exactly that: Wi collect location data to identify nearby people...

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Does it say this in your Play Store submission and listing, or just in-app? This is just a way of rephrasing @puppykickr's question, but that does seem to be a key question and you didn't answer it.

(Sorry if the answer is in your video, but I prefer to read rather than sit through videos and so never watch them. Nothing personal).

5. Preda

Preda Lurker

This is the link to my app on Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wichat.app

Do you think that I am missing a more accurate description of the app itself here?

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Sorry, I thought the app had been rejected - how come it has a Play Store link?
    I think you are missing any sort of description. The three words "People around me" tell the prospective user absolutely nothing about what the app does, never mind explaining what permissions it requires and why (or why the user might wish to install it).

But I'd assume that you also need to submit some documentation to Google ("assume" because I've never submitted an app to the app store). So what information have you provided to them?

puppykickr likes this.
  7. Preda

Preda Lurker

Yes, I agree with you, the 3 words says nothing. I've updated the description and will wait to see if the are going to approve it now. This is the new description:

Wi is an application that lets you connect with people and events around you. Use Wi to:

- See people around you and chat with them
    - See photos or videos that people around you publish
    - Or publish a photo or video yourself
    - Like and comment other's people posts
    - Check for interesting events and places around you

List through posts published by people around you to see discover what they are doing, or if there is an interesting ongoing event that you can join right away.

Or find out which people are near you and start talking to them.

I've also updated the description explaining why I do request location background permission. See screenshot bellow:

upload_2021-2-12_0-16-55.png

As last thing, I've provided the application policy where it again explain why location background is required. Here it is: https://wiapp.net/privacy-policy/

At this point, I really hope they are going to approve the app.

puppykickr likes this.
  8. Preda

Preda Lurker

After updating everything as described above, Google rejected the app again, sending me the same email. I'm running out of ideas.

9. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Why not try different app stores?