• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play won't let me sign in with another account

I have had several Google Play Store accounts over the last few years and deleted all one today. It is an account I have never used at the Play Store before.
  • When I try to access the Play Store, the first thing I see is "Google. Verify it is you. You were signed out of your Google Account. Sign in again to continue"
  • So I tap NEXT
  • The next screen has the name of the deleted account with no option to change it. Under that, it offers a clickable "Forgot email?" link and a "NEXT" button.
  • I tap NEXT.
  • The next screen "This account was recently deleted and may be recoverable. Click NEXT to attempt to restore this account." And at the bottom of the screen, it displays a link to "Use another account". I do not want to recover the deleted account so I choose "Use another account".
  • Next screen: So here is the road block. I am offered a screen again where I am not allowed to change the name of the deleted account and if I tap "Forgot email", I am presented with a message telling me where to go to recover the account. Again, I do not want to recover the account so I tap "CLOSE". If I tap NEXT, I am taken back to the screen mentioned above that tells me the account was recently deleted.

So I'm running in circles.

I fully understand that. All accounts that WERE associated with Play have been deleted, erased, do not want to recover any of those.

I now need to log into Play from my phone with a new account that has never before been associated with Play so I can download things from the Play store to my phone. Now go back to my original post and look at what I have already tried that is taking me to a dead end.

Upvote 0
Thanks but there is nothing I need in the Play Store worth having to wipe out everything on my phone and having to set it up all over again. Besides, I don't think this is a phone problem as I have run into similar problems where Google has made navigating through their system difficult and later finding a way through it after many tries of different things days later. Some things on Google services seem to be made deliberately more difficult than they should be, one being deleting an account. There should be a straight-forward and up-front menu item to delete an account, there's not. The problem of being run in circles when selecting to sign with a different account and is a perfect example of this.

Everything on my phone works fine; only this one site is giving me trouble. I have an old Galaxy S6 here that I tried this morning. I tried it as a troubleshooting measure and I have the same problem on it because I used to use the same old deleted accounts on it, too.

I think I will eventually find an obscure way to get through this, eventually but, like I said, I don't need anything right now that is important enough to wipe my phone clean and start over. Losing about two years worth of blocked SMS numbers is just one reason.

Upvote 0
@Alex Ethridge I'm just curious, why is it so difficult to set your phone up? A backup doesn't cover everything? A lot of games? A lot of apps? A lot of music? Something else?

Myself, I don't have any music or games. I have two apps. One app is for my credit union because their web page isn't very mobile friendly and a app for controlling my trailer brakes via Bluetooth. I have internet cameras, thermostat and smoke/carbon monoxide detector and they are controlled through Google home Everything else i get throw my browser.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks but there is nothing I need in the Play Store worth having to wipe out everything on my phone and having to set it up all over again. Besides, I don't think this is a phone problem as I have run into similar problems where Google has made navigating through their system difficult and later finding a way through it after many tries of different things days later. Some things on Google services seem to be made deliberately more difficult than they should be, one being deleting an account. There should be a straight-forward and up-front menu item to delete an account, there's not. The problem of being run in circles when selecting to sign with a different account and is a perfect example of this.

Everything on my phone works fine; only this one site is giving me trouble. I have an old Galaxy S6 here that I tried this morning. I tried it as a troubleshooting measure and I have the same problem on it because I used to use the same old deleted accounts on it, too.

I think I will eventually find an obscure way to get through this, eventually but, like I said, I don't need anything right now that is important enough to wipe my phone clean and start over. Losing about two years worth of blocked SMS numbers is just one reason.
But wiping the play store does not delete your apps or anything downloaded. All you need to do is re-sign in with the account you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones