• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Plus (+)

I have Google+ and am a bit unimpressed right now. It's just Facebook without the games and adverts. Worrying though - it's picked up my home and mobile numbers and other email addresses I own, and inserted them into what looks like a public profile. And I can find no way of removing them.....

I don't think that information is public although it does look that way in some places. I found a place to check though.

Go to the main Google+ screen.
Click on your name.
On the right side, there's a box that says something like "View profile as..."

If you click there, you can view what your profile looks like to the rest of the world.

Upvote 0
Sorted it. It's very confusing but what is happening is when I view a profile on my iPad, it takes contact details held LOCALLY and displays that. So when I view my own About details, it grabs phone numbers and email addresses from my own entry in my address book.

I've tested this - viewed the About of someone NOT in my contacts and there was nothing.

Viewed the About of someone else that WAS in my contacts and there was his phone number. I edited his phone number locally in my contacts, refreshed the page and the edited number was shown.

Panic over.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
I have Google+ and am a bit unimpressed right now. It's just Facebook without the games and adverts.

That's actually a plus to some of us! ;) I can't speak for anyone but myself but I could care less what someone is doing in Farmville or Mafia Wars. :rolleyes:

If anything I see G+ initially pushing Twitter to the curb...

Upvote 0
I can't imagine Twitter being that worried about Google+. Twitter enables you to meet new people as it's not limited to a circle of "friends". G+ seems to have gone down the route of "friends" and closed groups to communicate with, just like Facebook.

With so many people using both Facebook and Twitter, I don't believe that G+ is anything significantly better or different to have much of an impact. I am very much reminded of Google Wave here.

Upvote 0
I wouldnt trust google they have a lot of flaws, I remember when they had a lot of problems with their gmail and the online version of word document and such, googles people were reading and looking at other people personal info, and allowing other people to do the same, whose to say that once their version of social networking isnt an attmept to see what everyone of their memebers is doing and look at personal information and use it against us in some way

I trust google more than facebook. Facebook has much bigger privacy concerns and refuse to fix them, and they like to fling dirt at google. Google>facebook.

Upvote 0
New to the forum and droid, but if someone could help out with a gplus invite I'd sure be thankful. Bttwshark gmail. Thanks!

No one can at the moment. Invites have been shut down, and they have blocked the only known loophole for getting invites. Sadly, you'll just have to sit tight like the rest of us.

Reactions: Droid Shark
Upvote 0
I can't imagine Twitter being that worried about Google+. Twitter enables you to meet new people as it's not limited to a circle of "friends". G+ seems to have gone down the route of "friends" and closed groups to communicate with, just like Facebook.

With so many people using both Facebook and Twitter, I don't believe that G+ is anything significantly better or different to have much of an impact. I am very much reminded of Google Wave here.

Actually that's not quite accurate... in G+ you can add someone to one of your circles but it does not automatically add you to their circle. In essense you are "following" them just like it's done in Twitter. And the individual you are "following" is under no obligation to follow you.

From what I'm seeing so far a circle is little more than a way to define logical groupings of individuals within G+. If they are friends place them in the default "friends" group, if they are family place them in the default "family" group, and if you just want to hear what they have to say (ala Twitter), place them in the default "following" group. An example it gives in the G+ help is that if you wanted to announce your engagement on G+ you could post the message and only show it to members of your friends and family circles. This is something that's not enabled by default on Facebook and, to the best of my knowledge, not available on Twitter.

Whether or not G+ will overtake Twitter or Facebook remains to be seen... but personally I find it a refreshing alternative (thus far) to the cacophony of useless noise that tends to be Twitter and Facebook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones