• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Public DNS

cadGweep

Lurker
Nov 8, 2009
Has anybody else tried setting this up on their phones? Any noticeable performance improvement? It's supposed to improve performance, security, and accuracy of lookups. I set it up on my home computer and pages do seem to load a little faster. I'm not so sure if it's helping my Droid. I suppose mileage will vary.

As far as setting it up, I found my DNS settings under Wireless & Network Settings -> WiFi Settings -> Menu; Advanced. I had to switch to "Use Static IP" in order to make them editable. I'm not sure how well the static IP thing will play with my router since there's a lot connecting & disconnecting going on. I was thinking I could also change my Verizon network DNS settings but apparently this isn't possible. I'd have to do something crazy like hack my Droid to point at a proxy on my own computer. :eek:

The magic numbers are:

Also, here's a short article from lifehacker with a link to google's setup instructions:
Google Public DNS Aims to Speed Up Your Browsing - Google public dns - Lifehacker

This is similar to OpenDNS that has been doing public DNS for a long time. Those numbers are 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
What is faster are the DNS lookups, it does nothing beyond that except to catch misspellings and a few tricks. ISP DNS servers are usually pretty slow or just stupid, same as their SMTP servers that I never use.

You shouldn't need to set a static IP if you set the desired DNS servers in the router's (or whatever you use) DHCP server config. Then all devices get the setting and you can forget about the ISP's.

Upvote 0
An easy way to change your DNS settings is in ROM Toolbox. You can change to/from google, opendns, fooldns, comcast, level 3, and a few others. ive noticed that when i change to OTHER than google's DNS my google page searches wont load and neither will my metro browser. Also ive been tethering my phone to my home pc so i can use my pc to get the internet access. Its worked fine up until recently. Now i can only look at google and youtube and facebook. ive tried experimenting with different DNS settings with wifitether to try to regain unrestricted browsing again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones