• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Responds To G1 Tethering

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
A few days ago, Tyler wrote an article about Google pulling the Wifi Tethering for Root Users application from the Android Market. Obviously Android has been praised for being more open and transparent in regards to how they handle applications so this was a disappointing turn of events. And even though the news isn’t [...]

More...

well now the have bluetooth tethering on the market... Cyrket - tether Blu - Free Edition

That's not on the official market, I just did a search for "Cyrket" on the official market, and it's not found.

I don't understand why people think this hurts the "open source" concept. Open source just means open access to the source code, doesn't mean no rules and not conditions. Even linux doesn't work completely that way. Course it wasn't that long ago that people were complaining about the paid apps, they seemed to think that open source = everything is free.

Upvote 0
tether blu app is in the market. The reason this is ok is because it tethers using a wi-fi network thus not using t-mobile bandwidth which all the fuss is about. Can't really see the problem with the original tether apps myself as we are all subject to fair usage policies. If we use too much bandwidth we get choked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones