• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Search comming to Facinate (2.2 Update only) Bing will still be the default.

whitesnake1

Sep 1, 2010
posted Today, 2:17 PM by Eric M. Zeman
Verizon Wireless has confirmed to Phone Scoop via email that the Samsung Fascinate, which shipped with Bing as the default search engine, will be able to download the official Android Google Search application once the Fascinate is updated to Android 2.2. Verizon Wireless would not confirm when that update is scheduled to take place, but suggested that users who want to use Google Search instead of Bing set Google.com as their Android browser home page. Verizon Wireless spokesperson Brenda Raney said, "You can go to Google's home page and download an icon from that page and use Google as an alternative search option." Alternately, Raney said that Fascinate users can "download Voice Search from the Marketplace and when you use Voice Search, it searches in Google." Though the Android 2.2 update will allow Fascinate users to download, install, and use Google Search, Google Search will not replace Bing as the main search engine that launches when the "Search" button is pressed. That button will always launch Bing, even after Google Search is installed.
from Verizon Wireless

Well, in my 1 day of experience w/ Bing, it isn't that great, but it is easy to work around. I downloaded the Voice Search app and put it on my home screen. I just tap it and the Google "speak now" window comes up. Works pretty fast, and it is one touch, just like the Bing widget is.

By the way, Google does work better so far. Tried voice search and Bing widget to "find" Chipotle for lunch (I already knew where it was). Bing took me to Chipotle's gimicky home page, I had to type in the zip, it had to search for a restaurant, brought up the address finally. Google found a link, but right below it had a map of the nearest location. Clicked on it, it brought up the address and gave me the option to nagivate to it. Much slicker and easier, I have to admit. So I'll probably just hit the Voice Search icon until 2.2 brings us the Google widget.

Upvote 0
Well, in my 1 day of experience w/ Bing, it isn't that great, but it is easy to work around. I downloaded the Voice Search app and put it on my home screen. I just tap it and the Google "speak now" window comes up. Works pretty fast, and it is one touch, just like the Bing widget is.

By the way, Google does work better so far. Tried voice search and Bing widget to "find" Chipotle for lunch (I already knew where it was). Bing took me to Chipotle's gimicky home page, I had to type in the zip, it had to search for a restaurant, brought up the address finally. Google found a link, but right below it had a map of the nearest location. Clicked on it, it brought up the address and gave me the option to nagivate to it. Much slicker and easier, I have to admit. So I'll probably just hit the Voice Search icon until 2.2 brings us the Google widget.

I use voice search anyways on the Inc and have iGoogle as my homepage with Dolphin and a shortcut to it for typing searches. Works nice and saves icon space on my main home page.

Still, perception is hurting sales. Android users are more savyy than they expect.

Upvote 0
Still, perception is hurting sales. Android users are more savyy than they expect.

Yeah, since when did a high end Android device ever come out as a BOGO(A), and now it's being heavily discounted at Newegg.

Makes me pi$$ed that the likely reason that Verizon was last to the party with their Galaxy S phone was due to them having to mess with the OS to integrate Bing, and all their bloatware, especially VZ Nav. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones