• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Search fix! Non-root

Jedii

Android Expert
May 4, 2010
Arkansas
The guys over at Android Central posted a great article on how to fix the Google search on the Fascinate! Just follow the simple directions provided in the article and you'll be rolling with Google Search once again :)

Here's your Verizon Fascinate Google search fix | Android Central

Thanks again to Jerry over at Android Central!

Attachments

• thumb_550_fascinate-google-search.jpg
    thumb_550_fascinate-google-search.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 233
hanano,

Can you UN-root if you needed to?

I can launch Google Search by using Voice Search only, without any Launcher Pro. :)

Yes, I believe you can un-root. Not positive, but I remember someone asking and seeing a yes. No idea how to do it.

With the above, you can use google search by hitting the soft key, and if you hold it down it loads google voice search. Bing is pretty much disabled.

Upvote 0
Awesome! Works great. Only problem is the searchbar is displayed just a little above where its actual place is to click it on the screen. If i slowly move to another screen i can see it move back to where it belongs. If i go back to the screen it moves up again.. Strange..
I don't have such problem. I moved the Search Bar, the 2 Bing icons to screen #1 which will be my last screen on the left since I am keeping #4 as my home screen. Now, I don't have to see them anymore. :)

Upvote 0
I really didnt find this did anything more than what the Google widget did that came with Launcher Pro in the first place. Since they now updated the article to include that it won't replace the search button without a root, it seems to be just as good as using a launcher for the widget.

I did not see a Launcher Pro "widget," but a Google Search widget was available under "widgets," except that it would still route the search through Bing.

I had to install the EnhancedGoogleSearch APK that was in the Android Central article. Now, all searches through the search widget route through Google and not Bing.

The new LP update added a Facebook widget! Federico is amazingly prolific.

Upvote 0
When it says to "Place the file on your SD card, and install it through your favorite file manager." what does that mean exactly? Do I put the .apk file in the root of my phones memory or on the 16gb micro sd card?

Usually it will install just fine from the SD card. Just use Astro (free) or Root Explorer (worth every penny, especially if you're going to root!) Both file explorers can be found with a simple search on the Market.

Upvote 0
That should be fine, just use Astro or Root Explorer (if you are rooted) to locate it and select it.

Usually it will install just fine from the SD card. Just use Astro (free) or Root Explorer (worth every penny, especially if you're going to root!) Both file explorers can be found with a simple search on the Market.

Thanks guys, working now. Now how to nuke all this bloatware....

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I successfully replaced Bing Voice search by rooting and renaming the bing search app, and the google widget routes through google just fine.

However, when I open the browser and type something in the URL bar (not the search bar) like "test" (not an actual URL), it redirects me through the VERIZON/BING search all the same.

Is this happening with you as well? I don't want to use the Dolphin browser if I dont have to.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I successfully replaced Bing Voice search by rooting and renaming the bing search app, and the google widget routes through google just fine.

However, when I open the browser and type something in the URL bar (not the search bar) like "test" (not an actual URL), it redirects me through the VERIZON/BING search all the same.

Is this happening with you as well? I don't want to use the Dolphin browser if I dont have to.

Happens to me too. I think its because the Browser has been sort of customized by Samsung/Verizon. It is lacking features that the default browser in my HTC Incredible or my friend's Droid X has, as well.

Upvote 0
Did y'all install the Enhanced Google Search provider apk?

I have, yeah. So my search key and everything now works as google. I think its somehow hard-coded into the Browser itself?

No big deal really. I have Google set as my homepage, and if I soft-key search from outside of the browser it works with Google.

I use Opera Mini as an alternative, and it works well too.

Upvote 0
I have, yeah. So my search key and everything now works as google. I think its somehow hard-coded into the Browser itself?

No big deal really. I have Google set as my homepage, and if I soft-key search from outside of the browser it works with Google.

I use Opera Mini as an alternative, and it works well too.

By "soft-key" do you mean the touch sensitive buttons on the phone or just the search shortcut you can put on your home screens??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones