• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google search results appearance

Hi, the appearance of search results in Google search just changed on my Android. I find it really annoying as every result takes much more space on the screen.

I would like to change the appearance to more condensed one (like it was before) with just the website URL, name of the site and preview. Now there is also favicon added and name of the main site (see the red boxes in the attached picture). I have searched everywhere but could not find the solution.

The problem appears in both browsers I use on my Android: Chrome and the one from the Google.

I would really appreciate any help.
Screenshot_20220802_111406_edit_967703216809108.jpg

I guess the other browser is the one from the Google search bar? That's probably Chrome as well: Chrome can act as the system webview, and Google try to make that the default (though the Android System Webview component should still be available as an alternative if you hunt through your settings, which might be worth checking).

It definitely depends on the browser. I just tried Google searches on a few browsers on my phone, with the following results:

* Firefox Focus looked the same as ever: no icons, no extra titles.
* Edge did show icons, but no extra title, just the URL, a page title and preview, though the page title was in a larger font than on Focus (not as bad as yours, but all of your fonts seem larger relative to the screen width than mine).
* Naked Browser Pro (an ancient, minimalist browser) produced the same as Edge.
* Lightning and Brave both showed exactly what you see above: icon, extra site title.

I didn't test it in my main browser (Firefox), since I don't use Google with that. And I don't have any search bars, so didn't test the system webview. I also didn't test it in Chrome since I disable that app.

Since I wasn't signed in to Google in any of those tests the differences are presumably due to the browsers' settings or processing rather than my account settings. Whether there is a setting in Chrome that changes this I don't know - it's unlikely to be labelled clearly as "appearance of Google search results" though. Changing font sizes might help, but only if that can be done without causing readability problems elsewhere.

One ironic thing: these more space-consuming features only appear in the mobile version of the Google search site! Switch to desktop site and the icons and extra titles disappear (though you may then find the page unusable on a phone for other reasons!).

Upvote 0
I guess the other browser is the one from the Google search bar? That's probably Chrome as well: Chrome can act as the system webview, and Google try to make that the default (though the Android System Webview component should still be available as an alternative if you hunt through your settings, which might be worth checking).

It definitely depends on the browser. I just tried Google searches on a few browsers on my phone, with the following results:

* Firefox Focus looked the same as ever: no icons, no extra titles.
* Edge did show icons, but no extra title, just the URL, a page title and preview, though the page title was in a larger font than on Focus (not as bad as yours, but all of your fonts seem larger relative to the screen width than mine).
* Naked Browser Pro (an ancient, minimalist browser) produced the same as Edge.
* Lightning and Brave both showed exactly what you see above: icon, extra site title.

I didn't test it in my main browser (Firefox), since I don't use Google with that. And I don't have any search bars, so didn't test the system webview. I also didn't test it in Chrome since I disable that app.

Since I wasn't signed in to Google in any of those tests the differences are presumably due to the browsers' settings or processing rather than my account settings. Whether there is a setting in Chrome that changes this I don't know - it's unlikely to be labelled clearly as "appearance of Google search results" though. Changing font sizes might help, but only if that can be done without causing readability problems elsewhere.

One ironic thing: these more space-consuming features only appear in the mobile version of the Google search site! Switch to desktop site and the icons and extra titles disappear (though you may then find the page unusable on a phone for other reasons!).
Op read this, firefox is the most wonderful of the browers for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones