• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google searchbar available once 2.2 hits????

I played with the Fascinate @ a VZW store today! Loved it, but i am going to order it online so I dont have to deal with the mir.

Saw this post on ENGADGET

Debunk: Bing not replacing Google on all Verizon Android devices -- Engadget

After reading this update, from what I can read the Google Search Box will be available once 2.2 hits. Lemme know what you think?

Update 2: Verizon is additionally saying that Google's revamped search box that includes its new voice action capabilities will be available for download once the Fascinate hits Android 2.2 -- in other words, they're not explicitly blocking Google services from being installed on the device. Of course, that doesn't solve the root problem, which is that Bing is baked into the shipping ROM -- but it's something, we suppose.

Again, let me know what you think this means!!!!!

Thanks, almost

I don't buy it. They went to great lengths in order to keep you from being able to use google search on this phone. Considering the fact that Verizon is always the last carrier to push out updates because of their "thorough and rigorous" testing process, I seriously doubt they will allow a 2.2 Froyo build to come through without forced Bing implementation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones