• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Services & Minimizing Mobile Data

wayloncovil

Lurker
Feb 23, 2017
Hi, Everyone!

So yesterday, I booted by phone and it used about 20 MBs of Mobile Data before I had a chance to connect to WiFi. I'm running Marshmallow on my Moto X PE using MintSim and I have Google Play Store set to download updates over WiFi only. Auto updates were happening so I'm pretty sure that it was the Play Store that was using the data. I checked both Google Play services and Google Play Store and they don't have background data restricted so those are probably the culprits.

In general, the only thing that I really want to use mobile data is Google Messenger (for texts), Hangouts, Signal and other messaging apps.

I understand that some of them use Googles GCM for push notifications and not exactly sure what Messenger needs to download MMSes.

If I want to disable background data for as many applications as I can, "except for the messaging apps mentioned above), what Google services must I allow background data for to keep my messaging apps happy?

Thanks!

Why not try disable background data for them all (besides the messaging apps) and see if it works by sending yourself test messages from a different phone?
@andMego, I had a bit of an "oh duh" moment after reading your response so thank you.
I did as you suggested. I found that Google Play Services is the winner. Once I had that enabled, my GCM alerts started working. This was on my Moto X PE.
Our family also has a Huawei phone. It was much harder to find Google Play Services because of EMUI but I did find it under apps. From their, I could enable and disable Google Play Services.

Reactions: andMego
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones