1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Sky Map

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alostpacket, Dec 27, 2011.

1. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Does google sky map work for you guys? I know this app is sort of a toy, but I loved it.

It doesnt seem to be working right on my Gnex. Going to test out a few things, but curious if anyone else was seeing this.

Update:

To be clear, I was seeing it as very shaky, and it was not "turning" at all as I moved the phone. It would see to get one direction correct, say looking north, then even turning around and looking south, it would still show mostly north...

I suspect this may of had something to do with not using GPS on 3G/4G yet. I think that what may have caused the issue is the phone had not downloaded an aGPS

An easy Fix for me was installing GPS Status which downloaded aGPS data, another might just be opening Google Maps when you are on 4G/3G

Hope that helps! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gandalf7

Gandalf7 Well-Known Member

I have not had it outside yet to actually compare to what is visible in the sky, but it installed and seems to be running normally for me.

3. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 Well-Known Member

It seemed a bit choppy and would show the same thing sometimes even when I was turning. I think it has to do with the compass not being calibrated. I'm not sure the exact way to calibrate it but I started waving the phone around in figure 8 patterns, back and forth, and twisting my hand so the phone was turning while doing it. It sure looked dumb but once I stopped, the app seemed to start working correctly

alostpacket likes this.
  4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Quick update:

I download GPS Status, and even just running seemed to help Sky Map, but also the calibrations seemed to help a bit.

Still not as smooth as I would hope, but it at least seems to understand North/South :D

5. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

im using shake call, it let u answer the phone by.... shaking the phone :D

6. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Works fine for me

7. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast

Unusable inside a vehicle, but out in the open it's accurate though shaky on all three axis.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews