• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Sky Maps About 90 Degrees Off, other Astronomy Apps Work Fine

TonyMan13

Feb 13, 2013
I have been using this for almost 2 years with no issues until recently. I had my phone replaced with a refurbished unit, they both are Droid RAZR MAXX. On the new phone, the app is way off. For instance, if I go to North on the horizon, it shows Polaris there. At 10 PM I saw Arcturus in the west sky, but not on the app. I searched and it showed it to be between my feet looking downward. I searched for Mizur and it says it isn't in the database. Never had these problems before.

I have verified the time & location. Have also done the figure eight thing many times. Power cycled the phone too. Also deleted and re-installed. Nothing makes a difference. However, Stellarium and Sky Eye work fine as well as any apps with terrestrial mapping and compass apps. This convinces me the GPS and compass are functioning fine.

Anyone else been through this and have an idea?

Thanks

Try SkEye. Google abandoned or did something with Sky Map a couple of years ago Abandoned by Google, App Inventor for Android is now open source - Liliputing and this picked it up.
Looks just like Sky Map did.

I don't enable any location except GPS. The other apps, Sky Safari and Mobile Observatory have no problem with this. SyEye usually doesn't. Astronomers go to dark sites where there is NO connection of any kind except pure GPS.

Upvote 0
As for some GPS it doesn't make a tinker's dam whether or not you have all location enabled. I have 2 weather apps - one paid, that simply can't find my location by coordinates regardless of what is or isn't enabled. Both are in the same subdivision, but subdivision has a 200 foot difference between high and low point. It make a difference in extremely hilly areas for fog, snow and frosts. I've had it snow across the street (house 20 ft higher) and rain on my side.

What these weather sites are doing, is going by local weather stations which isn't too good for altitude at times.

If apps use nearby sites rather than the real coordinates, you will be off.

I don't use location. I've got it disabled. I prefer not to be bothered when out.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, perhaps I was unclear. I had used an app called "app ops starter" which allows you to change individual permissions for individual apps to deny google services location access. I had not turned off location in my phone settings. I assumed it would not effect maps and other google apps. I was wrong. I was being a curmudgeon and thought why does google play need to know my location. It did serve as a good lesson in "don't change settings you don't fully understand".
My guess is perhaps google services or google play are adversely effecting his compass accuracy. That's why I asked if other google apps are having the same problem. When I made my stupid mistake it only effected google apps, all of my other mapping apps worked fine.
Again I apologize if my earlier post was unclear. I've reread it and I can see I didn't clearly describe how I turned off location services for only one app and not in my phone settings.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the comments & advice. I've come to the conclusion to just uninstall Google Sky Maps and stick with Sky Eye, Sky Safari, and Stellarium.

For those who had other questions, it does the same thing at any location I am at. And other Google apps (Maps, Google Earth) work very good with no problems. I also have an app for finding kayak/canoe launch sites that works great too. It seems what I am facing in just an app that for some unknown reason won't work anymore. I just find it odd this all started when I got the refurbished phone - oh well, live & learn.

Thanks again to everyone!

Upvote 0
Johnny, it came from Paddling.net. It is on the Google Play Store as Launch Sites, or from the Apple App Store. I want to believe it covers any state. Also, join their site for a weekly news letter.

Now for the big news. I went into Google Maps & got a message saying Google needs access to my location - I swear this always worked before, but followed the prompts & turned it on. Now Sky Maps works!! I don't quite get it as I swear it was on already.

Anyway, thanks for all the help & education on this subject.

Reactions: johnny_w
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones