1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google Sky or GPS problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Clementine_3, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I love Google Sky but it seems to be off, by a goodly amount sometimes. I was showing my son the app last night (he likes astronomy and was home for Thanksgiving) and, no matter where I pointed, all we could see was the Southern hemisphere, I live in NY :eek:
    I checked all the settings and had GPS on, didn't see a "user issue" (never out of the realm of possibilities though. lol). After he left I tried it again and it was closer to being right, but still not exactly right. I could see the friggin' moon in the sky yet could not find it on Google Sky, it was waaaay west of where it really was. I mean, it's the moon, it's not like I didn't know what I was looking at. No matter how I positioned the phone the moon stayed in the wrong place.
    Was I having some dreaded GPS issue or has anyone noticed Sky being not so accurate?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sitting Duck

Sitting Duck Member

Mine works well but can be a few degrees off. The magnetic compass in the Droid is a bit quirky and can be off by 180 degrees at times. Try firing up Google Sky, hold the phone flat with the screen pointing up and then move it in a figure 8 pattern a couple of times. Sometimes gizmos with an electronic compass need to be recalibrated to magnetic north. And make sure there's nothing metal close to the phone.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Thanks. I had calibrated it earlier in the day, after I installed a compass app. I wondered if that (compass) was the culprit so calibrated again to be sure. It's not like I am going to be steering ships at night so it's no biggie that it's not spot on anyway. At least I'm in the right hemisphere now.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews