• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Speech Recognition update never ending

This is on my Motorola phone.
This app said it was downloading an update which went on for over 3 hours !
Every other app and action went very, very slow.
So I did a Force Stop and Disable.
Then I got a pop-up saying I had a virus, so clicked OK which led me to TAPI Antivirus & Virus Cleaner Lock.
I have not installed it.
Any advice and/or recommendations much appreciated.

you don't have a virus. what that was is called adware. it is a type of malware. android does not have viruses. you have to download and install malware. sometimes it comes with other apps. you download one app and it will automatically install other malware.

so i would uninstall the anti-virus app and then delete any apps you have recently installed......that should take care of your malware issue. it also should help speed up your device.

if you really want an app to protect your device, then try this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware

.....but like i said these types of apps are not necessary. you just need to be careful on what apps you install. you need to pay attention to what permissions the app wants before you download and install it. i don't have any such app on my device and i have never gotten any kind of malware on it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Many thanks for your reply.
I have not installed any new apps for weeks.
The adware appeared when I was opening EasyUninstaller which I have been using for years.
I ignored it and installed nothing.
I scanned with both Kaspersky Antivirus and Malwarebytes with nothing found.
What I really need to know is (i) Why was Speech Recognition downloading an update for over 3 hours? and (ii) what do I need to do if it happens again? and (iii) Was I right to Force Stop and Disable it?
It does seem to have disappeared from the apps list.

Upvote 0
ocnbrze : Moto G4 ; 19.11GB used of 45.26GB including SD card
Don't understand why you need this info !

Dannydet : No good to leave running, was slowing everything else and draining battery !
I think I have successfully uninstalled it - never used it anyway.

P.S. Same thing has happened on my wife's Samsung so surprised there's not more here about it.
Thanks a bunch Google !

Upvote 0
You can always uninstall the recent updates, just not the app sometimes, then you can apply the update after and that also solves the issue sometimes.

Thanks DonB, silly me never thought to reinstall !

But might just leave it as I never use it.

Was really surprised I was able to uninstall since you usually can't with Google's own stuff.

Upvote 0
Thanks again DonB.
Maybe you could advise on this (to save starting a new thread) :-
All the icons at top of screen - wifi, network, etc - have gone black instead of white, it's over a week now.
Makes them difficult or impossible to see most of the time.
Happened once before a year or more ago but corrected itself eventually.
Is this another Google glitch ?

Upvote 0
I don't have a Moto phone, but my best guess is you are most likely in Dark Mode theme, check in your settings/Displays/Advance/turn dark theme off

If not, then hopefully someone here will chime in.

Thanks again DonB.
Maybe you could advise on this (to save starting a new thread) :-
All the icons at top of screen - wifi, network, etc - have gone black instead of white, it's over a week now.
Makes them difficult or impossible to see most of the time.
Happened once before a year or more ago but corrected itself eventually.
Is this another Google glitch ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones