• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google speech recognizer for Traditional Chinese text

lennnn

Lurker
Apr 9, 2022
I want to output the speech to traditional chinese but it output to simplify chinese instead. My codes:

Java:
Intent intent = new Intent(RecognizerIntent.ACTION_RECOGNIZE_SPEECH);
intent.putExtra(RecognizerIntent.EXTRA_LANGUAGE_MODEL,
            RecognizerIntent.LANGUAGE_MODEL_FREE_FORM);
intent.putExtra(RecognizerIntent.EXTRA_LANGUAGE, "zh-TW");

I also tried to set EXTRA_LANGUAGE to "zh_TW", "TW" and Locale.TAIWAN but it doesn't work too.
In my Android 7.0 settings "Traditional Chinese"(繁體中文) is added in Language preferences. I able to select it in keyboard & type it.

Is this a bug of google speech recognizer?

I also tried to set EXTRA_LANGUAGE to "zh_TW", "TW" and Locale.TAIWAN but it doesn't work too.
In my Android 7.0 settings "Traditional Chinese"(繁體中文) is added in Language preferences. I able to select it in keyboard & type it.

Is this a bug of google speech recognizer?

I'm not a dev, but I think it might be a bug in the Google Chinese system. Because I get the same thing when I use Google Translate. I'm seeing Simplified Chinese characters, when I've set it to Traditional Chinese.

chinese.jpg

It has 电影 for "movie" when it should be 電影 in Traditional Chinese characters.

It only seems to be the Google Translate app though, because the Google Translate website is correct. https://translate.google.com/

BTW I'm in mainland China(PRC), so I'm usually using Simplified Chinese.

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Watson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones