• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Sync (Service Framework) Force Close with 2.3 ROM??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

Other than flashing the latest 2.3 ROM on my rooted EVO, I haven't done anything "fancy" to the phone (no new radios, kernals, themes, etc). My phone is basically a "stock" EVO but with the 2.3 ROM. This is specifically affecting my CALENDAR and, it seems, not the sync of my Contacts or Gmail.

I noticed with attempts to sync my Google accounts (Home —> Menu —> Settings —> Accounts and sync) that I am getting REPEATED force close error with Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps):

fjniq.jpg

These force close errors ONLY occur when trying to sync my Calendar with Google...syncing Contacts and Gmail runs smoothly. I have the option to hit "Force close" for the process but if I ignore it, the notice goes away, the sync continues to attempt, I receive the force close notice A COUPLE OR FEW MORE TIMES but then the process appears...appears to be successful but, in checking my calendar online, the new information I have entered on my phone is NOT syncing online.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? Something I should be worried about (other than the annoyance)?? Any suggested fix?? Perhaps there is something I need to clear..."Calendar Storage" in "Settings??..."Google Calendar Sync"??

THANKS!

Reactions: TwinDan
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?? Something I should be worried about (other than the annoyance)?? Any suggested fix?? Perhaps there is something I need to clear..."Calendar Storage" in "Settings??..."Google Calendar Sync"??

THANKS!

Well, well...once again...here I go ANSWERING my own question!!!:D:D

After posting my question, I did a google search for the process (com.google.process.gapps) that was giving me a problem...neglected to search for that term before...and found a suggestion to clear the "gmail storage" at the following location:

Home —> Menu —> Settings —> Applications —> Storage use

I scrolled down and cleared (1) Calendar storage and (2) Gmail

I don't think "Calendar storage" did anything (although THAT was where my fc was occuring...NOT with the gmail sync) but I cleared both, tried to sync again and it worked!! I had to refresh my calendars though since I wiped the data but it pulled all the info from my Google calendar online.

I am having a NEW issue where I cannot seem to create an event using my Jorte calendar...I can create in the stock Calendar app and it will appear in Jorte as well as Sync online to my Google account calendar, but Jorte will NOT allow me to create an event. Methinks that is a Jorte issue though...

So, time again to THANK MYSELF for answering my question!!:D

Reactions: tedrogers
Upvote 0
I'll avoid 2.3--too many probs reported.

Was wondering what you heard/what your concerns were? I've been on 2.3 and not ONE problem for me and my phone. There are some known Netflix and could other issues but they didn't quite concern my usage.

Are you rooted? Reason I'm asking is because I was a bit nervous with installing 2.3 on my rooted 2.2 phone but if you (are rooted and) make a "Nandroid backup" you can upgrade to 2.3 and, if you have problems, use your backup to go RIGHT BACK to 2.2!! Literally pretty much ZERO risk! I had issues totally unrelated to Gingerbread when I upgraded and actually went from 2.3 back down to 2.2 THREE TIMES using my backup!

If you want/need, I'll give you more info on how to root and do what I did so you can try out Gingerbread and go back to 2.2 if you want.

Upvote 0
Scudder, you are the man (or the woman as the case may be). Nice work. Thanks for helping me solve my EVO Shift Since the Update nightmare.

Ha!!...that's good...thanks for the conservative uni-sexual (bisexual??) word of thanks! I'm a man by the way...though I have been called a woman, as well as much worse! :eek::D

Upvote 0
Hello...

Other than flashing the latest 2.3 ROM on my rooted EVO, I haven't done anything "fancy" to the phone (no new radios, kernals, themes, etc). My phone is basically a "stock" EVO but with the 2.3 ROM. This is specifically affecting my CALENDAR and, it seems, not the sync of my Contacts or Gmail.

I noticed with attempts to sync my Google accounts (Home —> Menu —> Settings —> Accounts and sync) that I am getting REPEATED force close error with Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps):

fjniq.jpg

These force close errors ONLY occur when trying to sync my Calendar with Google...syncing Contacts and Gmail runs smoothly. I have the option to hit "Force close" for the process but if I ignore it, the notice goes away, the sync continues to attempt, I receive the force close notice A COUPLE OR FEW MORE TIMES but then the process appears...appears to be successful but, in checking my calendar online, the new information I have entered on my phone is NOT syncing online.

THANKS!
Thanks from rooted TBolt user who just flashed a 2.3 ROM and started having the same problem. Clearing GMAIL data worked great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones